Good Idea to get a refreshed Iphone4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by esadb, Jul 21, 2011.

1. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Well when I had my 3G right before the 1year warranty expired I called up Apple told them had some issues with the thing overheating in the back and paid the $35 advanced replacement fee and they send me a new(refurbished) one.

My iPhone 4 warranty expires middle of August and I thought maybe I should call up Apple and complain about my battery sucking (which I think it does) and just pay thr $35 again and get a refreshed i4.

What are you guys thoughts on this? I know the iPhone has not changed any since last August but perhaps getting a refurbished unit now would be better than having an iPhone that I received while all the masses wanted one quick and Apple was just rushing to get them out the door.

So what do you all think?

2. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

I did, just cause why not?
    Didn't have to pay anything...

3. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Yah I don't have a apple store close by so I gotta do it over the phone.. And I don't want to send them my phone first cause then I am without a phone.

Notice anything better with the refurb you got?

4. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Do you understand the difference between a refurbished and a re-manufactured unit?

5. jonrando macrumors 6502a

So you're basically gonna lie so you can get a new iPhone and new warranty?

I don't like the idea. Sorry.

6. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

The nice new feeling of a brand new iPhone, screen is silk, stainless is really clean, battery is pristine, I'm sold... Genius told me it's brand new, just stripped of retail box... Not sure if refurb/reman

7. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Carefully read my first post before making statements.

But do you understand what a refurbished phone is? Just as I am calling to send mine in because the battery sucks, they would of also gotten another phone from someone that they looked at thoroughly to inspect it for any issues that the user claims before sending it out to me for example as a refurb. And I have read many posts regarding apples refurbished units being better than new as they get a second tear down and inspection.

New warranty you get is 60 or 90 days.. Its not like their giving me apple care for 3 years and I am not doing it for the warranty anyways.

8. jonrando macrumors 6502a

Doesn't matter. You're gonna make up the fact that your battery isn't good when it most likely is and get a free refurb, when other people, like me, tell the truth about what's going on and actually pay for their items.

9. jonrando macrumors 6502a

10. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

I paid for it 200$ last year. I am paying $35 to get my replacement.. How am I not like the other people?

And who says my battery does not in fact suck compared some results I've seen on these forums for how long their battery lasts.

11. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Exactly, this means that the particular iPhone I will receive a refurb will have gone through this twice by the time I get it. And double checking is also better ;)

So chances of them finding something wrong now that might have been missed back in the day when they were producing these so quick just to please the masses and beat the rushes.

12. jonrando macrumors 6502a

Well where I live, 200 dollars is significantly more than 35 dollars. I'm sure if Apple started offering 35 dollar iPhones, new, we'd all be pretty happy, right?

Everyone's battery life differs depending on the things they do with their iPhone. I may listen to one song and make 2 phone calls every day, buy if you're making 15 twenty-minute phone calls, watching movies, listening to podcasts, and playing apps all day, of course your battery life will suck compared to mine. (that's just an example).