Good idea to have integrated graphics in 15" MBP?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Azrel, Jun 21, 2009.

?

Good idea

1. Yes

36 vote(s)
    54.5%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    45.5%
  1. Azrel macrumors regular

Azrel

Personally I think it's a great move, to have the option of not having something, is better than being forced to have something you don't want/need.

For many people the extra GPU isn't needed for their work (audio, programming, graphics).

What do you think?
    :apple:

2. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

I say yes. It's good that apple is finally letting the customers have more options.

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Just a few months ago I was consulting our family's friend on which Mac to buy. All she does is write and translate but she had to settle on the low-end 2.4 GHz uMBP because uMB's screen was too small and much worse in quality. Ended up paying for stuff she will never use.

The new 2.53 uMBP would have been just right for her.

Voted "Yes"

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

just get a power pack or 2:rolleyes:

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I love how the price for the low end 15" is what I paid for my mid range MBP with a 512MB 8600M GT card. Happy with my "Classic" and will not upgrade until I really have to.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I haven't switched to the 9600M, so it would work out for my case; of course I could never live with myself if I had a 15" computer with integrated graphics, so I would buy the dedicated graphics option (even if I never use it).

7. Halon X macrumors regular

Would you have been happier if they called the 15" with integrated graphics a Macbook?

People get way too caught up in a "name".

8. knownikko macrumors 6502

Lots of "pros" have absolutely no need for a discrete 3D graphics accelerator.

I was unaware that only "graphics pros" were allowed to buy a machine that had the word "pro" on it, or that the same "pros" would be horribly confused because a machine was offered that didn't contain such an obviously "pro" feature. What of the countless other "pros" that have no need for it and are happy to be able to purchase a more affordable 15" Apple notebook that more closely matches their needs?

More choice couldn't possibly be a bad thing, bruised egos of the self-inflated narcissists notwithstanding.

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Agreed. See my previous post for the real-life example - that woman is a PROfessional translator. She's a pro with absolutely no need for a dedicated graphics card.

10. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I do a fair amount of Photoshop and Illustrator work and its not uncommon to have files a couple hundred megabytes in size. Yet I still do all this on the 9400M. Why? Because I don't feel like logging out and switching to the GT. The 9400 has more than enough power.

11. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Thing is, here I am using a loan MBP 15-inch with integrated 9400M / 9600M GT - I've switched between the two and no matter how hard I try - I see zero difference running iLife / iWork / Safari Quicktime or VLC in performance differences between the two graphics options.

I'm happy to buy a MacBook Pro with 9400M and not pay the premium price for the 9600M GT option - I just wouldn't use whatever the extra power it gives. :)

12. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Its a good idea if you use bootcamp, for some reason the 9600 uses a ridiculous amount of battery power in Windows.

13. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Agreed 100%. I think it's a major waste of money to buy a computer for $1600 that only has integrated graphics (ex: the new 15" MBP with only the 9400..)

I also think that Apple could have saved a lot of money and cut prices by not bothering to include the dual GPU option and just having a single discrete GPU.

14. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

now now.... they need the 9400 so they can claim those 7 hour battery times... :p

15. Azrel thread starter macrumors regular

Azrel

I don't think this harms the MacBook Pro's image.

The MBP is now more appealing to people because they are given a choice. Do I pay extra for something I may not use?

I think if Apple had paired the MBP with a vastly inferior chip like Intel graphics, we would have some issues. But the 9400m is capable and Apple is committed to supporting it well in Snow Leopard.

It's also quite interesting apple now has the 9400m on every mac (minus the MacPro), which almost guarantees it will be a well supported chip with good performance. I think this bodes well for everyone.

16. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

In OS X I've never switched either, however, under Windows I play games so a dedicated GPU is essential.

I'm glad they adjusted the prices; it made my refurb uMBP 2.53 with 512MB 9600M GPU much more affordable. :)

Cheers,

17. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...there's no "I don't care" option on the poll - I'd never buy a 15" laptop...:D

18. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

High-end iMacs don't have them I think. At least Apple says nothing about it.

19. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Hopefully, your video card will not make that choice for you.

20. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

You're going to get a lot of comments from pretentious users who are offended that their "Pro" machines have less cachet than they used to. For example:

It'd be a bigger waste of money for someone who doesn't need discrete graphics to spend $300 more for them. :rolleyes: Apple still sells a MBP with dedicated graphics - all they've done is add an option for those that don't need them. How is this a bad thing, exactly?

21. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Yes

Why? It extends the arm of Apple to those who don't need the GPU. I'm telling you - the MAJORITY of MBP users never see their GPU fully utilized! It just sits there sapping battery power and uncomfortably warming their lap.

Seriously .. too many of these threads.

22. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I vote yes.

And LOL @ all of these "enthusiasts" who are so upset over the fact that a MacBook Pro is not really a "Pro" machine anymore. Get off your high horse and use your f'n computer you twits.

23. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Ha! True, but still 3 years warranty if it does die from that issue. It's all good.