good image editing software

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by xtn, Jul 24, 2007.

1. xtn macrumors regular

hey guys,

my fraternity is going to start organizing rush events soon, and i am usually in charge of designing shirts. in the past i've made sloppy "examples" by just copying and pasting my ideas together. i'd really like to learn how to make a much more professional looking graphic, or how to edit and rearrange images for what i want.

what would be a good (free or shareware) software i should look into for either designing t-shirts, or editing images? even if its a trial version, i'd at least would like to have most functionality, and be able to save the image. thanks for any insight you guys would have!

2. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

For free, I like gimp. Its better on windows actually, but works alright on macs too.

3. oscuh macrumors 6502

I think you can get a trial download of Photoshop or Illustrator and it has full save capabilities for 30 days. Illustrator would be a better choice, because unless you're using someplace like CafePress, handing a .tif or .jpg to a screenprinter is going to incur some heavy art charges when they take what you give them and convert it to it's actually useable.

4. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

For t shirt work you could look at Intaglio, it is not free but fairly cheap. Inkscape is free and compares to Illustrator.

5. xtn thread starter macrumors regular

thanks to all for your help! i'll have to look into them!

6. cube macrumors G5

7. failsafe1 macrumors 6502a

failsafe1

Inkscape seemed clunky when I tried it. I use Illustrator so I did not need to learn a new program. I have Intaglio but have not learned it yet. But I would guess Intaglio is the easier of the two.

8. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

intaglio was really easy to use on the first time i used it compared to inkscape (really confusing)

9. cube macrumors G5

I couldn't figure out how to change the background with Inkscape, including a transparency checkerboard.

It also does not understand viewport-fill like it seems happens with most of the stuff out there.