Good Image Viewer for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stuff99, Jul 10, 2007.

1. stuff99 macrumors 6502

Do you guys have any good image viewers that are free for Macs that you would recommend me?

I've been using ACDsee but I find that when I take vertical pics the rotate and save function doesnt work too well for it.

Please point me to the right direction for a good image browser.

Thanks

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

iPhoto is bundled with every Mac. GraphicConverter is bundled with many Macs, but is well worth the shareware fee if it was not bundled with your computer. If you don't pay the shareware fee, then it is fully-functional nagware.

3. steelfist macrumors 6502a

I highly recommend Xee.
    http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/29046

The problem i have with preview is the fact that i do not have access to all the images in a folder unless i open every single one of them. so, if i'm reading a manga, i have to highlight all of the pictures, and then open. for xee, it works a bit like the image viewer for windows. i open up the first image, and then press next for the next image, and then so on.

it's extremely lightweight, and fast, even on my ibook g4. you can rotate, and crop images, and it supports slideshow with a timer that can be tweaked. i don't think it has any transition effects, but this is still an extremely reliable program.

the only complaint is the kind of icons that they use, and the program app icon, but that's just my taste. i replaced all of the icons with the ones from preview by viewing the content with the apps and replacing specific icons like .jpg, .png, and .bmp.

4. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

5. Maui macrumors 6502a

Maui

6. ardent11 macrumors newbie

I've got a problem and I'm not sure if it has to do with Xee, but I recently downloaded it and set it as my default viewer for photos. Now when I go to upload images to a website I can not see the preview in finder.

For example I go to upload an image at Facebook, navigate for a photo in Finder, where a thumbnail usually is, is the Xee JPG icon. Hopefully you guys are following me, I can't really explain it.

The only way around this was to open finder and browse for the correct image, get the filename, then find the image again when uploading.

Hope there is a way around this.

7. isleofjib macrumors regular

i agree with pheonix slides. best i've seen yet that was free.

8. murfle macrumors regular

I've also used a program called JustLooking. Free, worth checking out to see if it suits your needs...

9. stuff99 thread starter macrumors 6502

does Xee know how to automatically adjust vertically shot pictures appropriately? ACD See on windows does this but on Mac for some reason when I rotate the picture the picture preview shrinks and it really pisses me off...

10. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

11. mania macrumors member

I am still looking for something like iView Media that will let you save image catalogs but doesn't cost $300 and NOT iPhoto.