Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I AM THE MAN

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
Hey everyone! I recently purchased a T3 and I really love it. I really want to use it for video, but I do not know a good lens I can use with it.

What type of lens would you recommend for filming? I'll be filming videos for YouTube (Im a YouTube Tech-Reviewer). So, what would you all recommend?

The only thing to keep in mind is an inexpensive lens.

Thank you for your answers in advance.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Hey everyone! I recently purchased a T3 and I really love it. I really want to use it for video, but I do not know a good lens I can use with it.

What type of lens would you recommend for filming? I'll be filming videos for YouTube (Im a YouTube Tech-Reviewer). So, what would you all recommend?

The only thing to keep in mind is an inexpensive lens.

Thank you for your answers in advance.

I think pretty much the cheapest lens canon offers is the 50mm f1.8 which in the UK is about £80

Normally I wouldn't recommend this lens to someone who is sort of new to video but since you say you are doing tech reviews I would recommend it as you will be able to set up your shots.

One of the traits of the 50mm f1.8 is its shallow depth of field which means that you can choose parts of the image to be in focus. This will look pleasing in your video and great against shots from the 18-55mm (assuming you have the kit lens).

This lens is quite tight on a crop sensor and I would consider putting your kit lens to 50mm to see if it's a field of view you would like as you can't zoom with it as it is a prime lens.

I AM THE MAN

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
I think pretty much the cheapest lens canon offers is the 50mm f1.8 which in the UK is about £80

Normally I wouldn't recommend this lens to someone who is sort of new to video but since you say you are doing tech reviews I would recommend it as you will be able to set up your shots.

One of the traits of the 50mm f1.8 is its shallow depth of field which means that you can choose parts of the image to be in focus. This will look pleasing in your video and great against shots from the 18-55mm (assuming you have the kit lens).

This lens is quite tight on a crop sensor and I would consider putting your kit lens to 50mm to see if it's a field of view you would like as you can't zoom with it as it is a prime lens.

I see. I mean the main purpose would be to just focus down on an item or take moving shots on it.

ender21

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Southern Cal
I see. I mean the main purpose would be to just focus down on an item or take moving shots on it.

I have Canon's 50mm f/1.8 and I use it for shooting video on my 60D all the time. It puts out a great image, and I can get pretty close in to subjects with it.

The hiccups are manually focusing and the 1.6x multiplication factor. It means you have to back away more if you want a wider shot. I also have the 35mm f/2 but it's inferior optically to the 50.

I AM THE MAN

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
I have Canon's 50mm f/1.8 and I use it for shooting video on my 60D all the time. It puts out a great image, and I can get pretty close in to subjects with it.

The hiccups are manually focusing and the 1.6x multiplication factor. It means you have to back away more if you want a wider shot. I also have the 35mm f/2 but it's inferior optically to the 50.

Oh Alright. Thank you for your information! I'm leaning towards purchasing it soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.