Good Instrumental Music

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by TSE, Aug 13, 2010.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

I just got some Bose Companion 2 Series II speakers for $25. Good deal? I think so! Sure beats my speakers that came with a Gateway computer from 2001. :p

I need some good instrumental music to listen to. I'm not talking Techno, but a little electronic can't hurt. Name some!

2. Xavier macrumors 68020

Explosions in the Sky (one of my personal favorites)
    God is an Astronaut
    Sigur Rós
    Mogwai
    The Album Leaf
    M83 (another personal favorite)

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

4. Audio Blood macrumors member

I second everything Xavier said, all of my favorites (especially Explosions in the Sky)!

I have to check out God is an Astronaut though.

5. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Definitely Explosions in the Sky. Those guys are great! Also, NIN has some really good instrumentals in Ghosts I-IV.

6. bartelby macrumors Core

Red Sparowes
    Godspeed You! Black Emperor
    God Is An Astronaut (as already mentioned)

Check out Clint Mansell's film scores:
    Moon
    Requiem For a Dream
    The Fountain
    The Wrestler
    for example

Plus there's lots of Philip Glass and John Cage stuff that's great...

7. SlovakApple macrumors 6502

Jean Michel Jarre maybe? But what do I know about music. :)

8. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

Very nice suggestions so far! I'm a huge EITS fan myself.
    Any post rock will be great if you're into that kind of music, you might try some minimal or experimental electronic music. Jean Michel Jarre is a great suggestion, but some people don't like his style. Boards of Canada is good music. Also try 2562, Pangaea, Burial, Boxcutter, Martyn, Loefah and most importantly Scuba. Chances are you'll love this type of music.
    Contemporary classical music also has its demigods. Philip Glass was mentioned already, I also like Steve Reich and Terry Riley. Michael Nyman makes good music as well.
    You should also listen to some Jazz. Miles Davis' later stuff and Herbie Hancock, or Fats Waller, Dizzy Gillespie, Count Basie if you're more into the classics.
    Experiment, and get a last.fm account thingy to scrobble all your music and get more recommendations.

9. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Aside from agreeing with what a lot of others have said, check out David Arkenstone.

10. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

Bela Fleck & The Flecktones. Especially their early to middle stuff. their last few albums have been pretty crumby.

my fav albums by them are,
    Live Art
    Live at The Quick
    Flight of the Cosmic Hippo
    Left of Cool

11. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Sigur Rós is a bit depressing for me. :( I'd recommend Enigma and Govi (a new age guitarist, but he has other instrumentation as well) And there are a bunch of great soundtrack albums that sound fantastic with high quality headphones - Any Hans Zimmer will be great, and Vangelis has done some very good film music, but any one of his albums is usually very good.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I listen to instrumental game soundtracks;
    Castlevania is mostly minor key, fast songs with plenty of strings and organs.
    Mario Galaxy (Kondo) is memorable, floaty, beautiful orchestral stuff.
    Metal Gear Solid 4/Peace Walker (Hans Zimmer) is pounding, orchestral, deep, military sounding stuff.

13. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Liquid Tension Experiment. Pure prog awesomeness :)

14. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

15. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Almost anything by the Kronos Quartet is also worth picking up

16. cube macrumors G5

Check out the Brilliant Classics inexpensive massive complete box sets.

17. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Enough to recommend a good instrumental artist. JMJ does fine electronic instrumentals. I have his Oxygene and Equinoxe albums.

Along the lines of JMJ is one Larry Fast, who did keyboard work for Peter Gabriel and recorded several solo instrumental albums under the name Synergy. "Delta One," from his Games album, is currently in my Top 10 in my iTunes library (ranking by most plays). I can also easily recommend his Cords and Audion albums. Both of these are not "techno"; Larry's works tend to be lushly orchestrated, and resemble symphonic/orchestral music instead of techno/dance.

EDIT: I must mention the Fresh Aire series by Mannheim Steamroller (yes, they did original stuff before their Christmas releases became ingrained into holiday mall-walkers' minds).

18. Xavier macrumors 68020

How did I miss..

Eluvium
    Sleepmakeswaves
    The Soul's Release
    This Will Destroy You
    Mono
    Isis
    Hammock (not a huge fan)
    Pelican
    Windy & Carl
    Joy Wants Eternity

Mind, so of these are a bit "harder" than others mentioned.

19. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Animals as Leaders are an awesome new Instrumental Metal/Hard Rock band. The guitarist is one of the best new names on the scene.

Also check out Buckethead. Mainly his albums Colma, Electric Tears and A Real Diamond in the Rough.

20. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

I definitely agree. :D If you enjoyed LTE, you might also enjoy The Black Mages. They play prog rock versions of Final Fantasy songs.

As for instrumentals, it depends on what your tastes are. If you're interested in instrumental electric guitar, you can check out John 5, Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert or John Petrucci (one of my personal favorites).

If cello is more your style, you can check out Apocalyptica. They started covering Metallica songs, but they've created some spectacular songs, both heavy and soft. Eicca Toppinen, one of the band members, also made the instrumental cello soundtrack for the movie Black Ice.

For the piano lovers here, Nobuo Uematsu, Aki Kuroda and Seiji Honda have created the Final Fantasy piano soundtrack for the past few versions of the franchise (Nobuo Uematsu is also one of the members of The Black Mages). There's also a korean piano player, Yiruma, that has great instrumental piano albums (Destiny Of Love, From The Yellow Room).

Yann Tiersen has awesome instrumental albums, like the soundtracks for Amelie and Good Bye Lenin!. His album Tabarly is also great.

Game soundtracks are also great for instrumental songs. If you're looking for creepy music, the Dante's Inferno soundtrack is great, and (to a lesser extent) American McGee's Alice.

For electronic instrumentals, check out Masseratti 2Lts or The Crystal Method.

21. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

There are tons of Internet radio stations that play this kind of thing 24/7. Mountain Chill and 1.FM Afterbeat Electronica are two of my favourites - iTunes has a lot of nice ones.

22. sambo595 macrumors newbie

Dairy Party

There is this local band where I live, I just saw them live. I really think they are going to hit it big, they were so exhilariting to watch live. HEre is a link to thier myspace http://www.myspace.com/therealdairy

23. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

if youre into EMB/Drum-n-Bass stuff ...not techno at all, actually pretty good stuff I stumbled upon onto. Check out "Dom And Roland"

Sometimes feels like racing music when im driving around at night :cool: but its not overly intense or anything kind of a mood music.

24. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

80's pop star Howard Jones is still making music, on his own independent label. Among his recent releases are two albums of solo piano instrumentals. I have the first, which I can heartily recommend for lovers of piano and atmospheric pieces. "For Jan", again from the first "Piano Solos", is catchy and lovely.