Good keyboard to avoid repetitive injury (including bendable ones)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Feb 11, 2014.

1. hajime, Feb 11, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014

hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, over the past few months I have been typing intensively on my rMBP 15" for a project. I ended up getting repetitive injury. Do you know any good keyboard that I could use from now on?

The keys on the rMBP seem to be a bit hard upon pressing. Thanks.

2. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Do you have a wrist rest? IMHO that's more important than the specific keyboard.

3. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

No wrist rest.

Anybody tried those bendable bluetooth keyboards? Are they good? I suppose a good one might require less forcing typing and as a result, reduce impact upon hitting the keys.

5. dkl macrumors member

Those soft rubbery ones? I actually find having to use MORE force on this than a regular keyboard.

Get those chiclet-type keyboards over the "regular" ones. I find myself using "less force".

6. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Any recommendation on those "chiclet-type" keyboards?

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

This is the correct answer. I had repetitive injury from typing and tried every keyboard on the face of the planet. The keyboards don't help by themselves.

Most importantly, your wrists and your forearm need to be straight in one line. If your wrists are bent either up or down compared to your forearm, you are screwed.

Do whatever you need to do with your keyboard, wrist rests, desk height, and chair height, in order to get your wrists straight.

8. spatlese44 macrumors 6502

You might try Dvorak layout. Learning is surprisingly quick and you can pull off and rearrange keys on Apple keyboards (all the ones I've tried), which is not true of every keyboard. QWERTY english typing is about 30/70 home row typing. Dvorak is about 70/30. Though helpful, good form and occasional breaks are important too.