Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Lately, I've felt like I've been missing the "desktop experience" since buying my iBook G4 as my main computer. Don't get me wrong, it's a great machine and it serves 100% of my needs. But I'm tired of using it as both a desktop and a notebook, it's a huge pain. So, I've been looking into some used desktop Macs.

At first I looked at G4 Mac mini's, but they seem to be a little too expensive. I was looking for something with a small form factor, because I have very little space.

Then I realized my old iMac G3 has been sitting around, doing nothing.

I could max out the RAM, put in a new hard drive and I think I would have a good jukebox/light internet machine.

But, I'm weary of doing this because I also have a clamshell iBook G3. It has a faster processor and more RAM, and Panther runs pretty horribly on it. (300 MHz, 160 MB RAM, compared to my iMac's 233 MHz and 32 MB of RAM)

I was only planning on putting Jaguar on it, which should run great on 256 MB of RAM, but I think the limiting factor here is the 233 MHz processor. Is it going to be enough to run it well enough so that I run an internet browser, iChat, and iTunes at the same time?

gehrbox

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2007
Charleston,SC
I was only planning on putting Jaguar on it, which should run great on 256 MB of RAM, but I think the limiting factor here is the 233 MHz processor. Is it going to be enough to run it well enough so that I run an internet browser, iChat, and iTunes at the same time?

I have a 350Mhz G3 iMac running on Tiger using everything but iChat and its completely usable.

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
If you're looking into buying a new desktop for something cheap you could get an eMac which may end up only slightly more expensive than maxing out the ram and putting in a new HDD in the g3 iMac. Plus you'll be getting a much better experience. I got my eMac last June and it runs Tiger very well for only $160 (~$200 with shipping). There are even cheaper ones on ebay but they run Jaguar and I wanted mine to come with Tiger plus I wanted at least 1 ghz+. I also looked at G4 minis but they were too expensive when I could get an eMac with the exact same specs for a few hundred dollars less as I didn't have a spare monitor.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
I know from experience, that the G3 chips have a hard time with flash. I would try to find a g4 mini or a g4 imac, the G4 chips will run flash, and 10.3/10.4 much better then the G3 iMac. You might be able to find one that is 1.0 GHz or above for a reasonable price and put leopard on it. I wouldn't recommend it on a G4 that's under 1.0 Ghz. Summary- find a cheap G4 iMac/ Mini on ebay, and if you want put leopard on one that's 1.0 Ghz+.

Don

mark10197

macrumors member
May 31, 2008
I think you should get a PowerMac G4. They are pretty cheap for what the can do. I've helped a friend buy an old G4 on ebay for about $200. (933mhz, 1gb of ram, 80gig HD, and a 64mb graphics). It even runs leopard flawlessly. But you have to find a monitor, a apple lcd 17" flat panel display shouldnt cost more then $100

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I have a 350Mhz G3 iMac running on Tiger using everything but iChat and its completely usable.
I'm glad someone agrees with me. :)
If you're looking into buying a new desktop for something cheap you could get an eMac which may end up only slightly more expensive than maxing out the ram and putting in a new HDD in the g3 iMac. Plus you'll be getting a much better experience. I got my eMac last June and it runs Tiger very well for only $160 (~$200 with shipping). There are even cheaper ones on ebay but they run Jaguar and I wanted mine to come with Tiger plus I wanted at least 1 ghz+. I also looked at G4 minis but they were too expensive when I could get an eMac with the exact same specs for a few hundred dollars less as I didn't have a spare monitor.
an eMac would actually be my number one choice. They have great specs for the price they go for. Only problem is the shipping costs.:(
I know from experience, that the G3 chips have a hard time with flash. I would try to find a g4 mini or a g4 imac, the G4 chips will run flash, and 10.3/10.4 much better then the G3 iMac. You might be able to find one that is 1.0 GHz or above for a reasonable price and put leopard on it. I wouldn't recommend it on a G4 that's under 1.0 Ghz. Summary- find a cheap G4 iMac/ Mini on ebay, and if you want put leopard on one that's 1.0 Ghz+.

Don
I prefer Tiger anyway, so no problem there. The iMac is a bit too expensive, but the mini is an option for sure.
I think you should get a PowerMac G4. They are pretty cheap for what the can do. I've helped a friend buy an old G4 on ebay for about $200. (933mhz, 1gb of ram, 80gig HD, and a 64mb graphics). It even runs leopard flawlessly. But you have to find a monitor, a apple lcd 17" flat panel display shouldnt cost more then $100
Hmm, I'll have to look at the PM G4's. I was looking at B&W G3's a while ago, but this may be a better investment.

Dmac77

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2008
Michigan
Well good luck with whatever you get. and an eMac would also be a good fit, occasionally I see them on eBay with free shipping what exactly is your price range, I have quite a bit of free time and I wouldn't mind looking on eBay for you.

Don

EDIT: Just hit 250 posts, now a 6502

EDIT 2: you could dump that HP on some sucker on eBay, and use that money to get newer computer. :D

scuzy

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2006
i saw a refurb mac mini on the apple store last night for 499.99 that's not a bad machine at all.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Well good luck with whatever you get. and an eMac would also be a good fit, occasionally I see them on eBay with free shipping what exactly is your price range, I have quite a bit of free time and I wouldn't mind looking on eBay for you.

Don

EDIT: Just hit 250 posts, now a 6502

EDIT 2: you could dump that HP on some sucker on eBay, and use that money to get newer computer. :D
My price range is $150 or less. Not realistic, I know, but it's what I'm willing to spend. I have considered selling the HP, but I really do need to use Windows for some things, so that's not an option.
i saw a refurb mac mini on the apple store last night for 499.99 that's not a bad machine at all.
Not bad, but too expensive.

At this point, I've pretty much decided on just using my old iMac G3, and max out the RAM in it.

My main concern is the HDD. It's only 4 GB, but I don't know how much space 10.2 (Jaguar) needs. Anyone know?

(Also, I've heard a lot about having to update the firmware. Can someone elaborate more on that?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.