Good Luck buying through E-Bay?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dt1027, Feb 8, 2008.

1. dt1027 macrumors newbie

dt1027

I am looking to make the switch from PC to Mac but don't want to shell out $1600 or so for a new MacBook so I decided to start looking at e-bay. It looks like you can get some pretty good deals, but I'm a little bit wary of buying a used computer over the internet, so I figured I'd check on here and see if people have had any luck. While i know to look at feedback and that deals too good to be true usually are, I'm more wondering if people have had success going this route.-Thanks in advance!

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I've bought literally dozens of computers (Mac, Sun, Windows and others) via eBay over the years, and have never had a problem - on several occasions picking up some very good deals indeed. However, I am extremely cautious about ensuring that the seller has a good history of selling the kind of item I'm buying and always make sure that I buy using paypal funded via a credit card - which gives me two levels of safety should something go wrong.

3. yodermk macrumors member

I bought a Powerbook on eBay. It was OK but didn't include iLife like it should have. And, I probably paid a few bucks too much.

4. dazcox5181 macrumors 6502

Just got screwed by someone winning my iMac G5 and claiming their account was misused. So ebay cancel the listing, meaning now i cant even contact the 2nd place bidder and have to relist.
    Going to try craigslist as well based on recommendations here...

Can always PM me if anyone near london uk wants a imac g5 for about £450...:D

Bottom line, I always seem to have issues with ebay purchases or sales.
    On the other hand my wife uses it all the time with no problems.

5. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

I bought my MBP from a seller on eBay, but directly off him. Not a problem, although it was new.

As a seller on eBay, I tend to attract all the dopey buyers that don't read the listings correctly, as a buyer I don't have much problems at all. Only 1-2 in the whole time. Latest was when I got ripped off for an iPhone from a powerseller with many many feedback (over 1,100+) just went on a mad bender before xmas. Managed to claim my money back on PayPal though.

6. rowath macrumors newbie

I've sold several Apple desktops and notebooks on ebay. All were in great condition. I would just advise that you be really judicious and use common sense when making a purchase on ebay. See if the machine is still under warranty/has applecare and make sure that they include a copy of the receipt if it is. Otherwise, you can always take a look at the refurbs on Apple's website. There are usually some nice machines on there.

7. 150hp macrumors regular

Why not scope out MacRumors very own Marketplace?
    That said, I've been on eBay since '99 as a buyer & seller & have only had a handful of bad experiences.

8. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

I just bought a brand new sealed BlackBook on eBay. Yeah, I was a bit weary, but I met up and paid cash, gangsta style and it was all good. Would certainly do it again, in fact, next update I will. I'm always grabbing the latest. :cool:

9. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

I bought a Mac Color Classic with Apple II card and drives in pristine condition on ebay! sorry, no experience with more recent models.

10. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

My general rule for these kinds of items is buy from craigslist, sell on ebay...

ebay items always get bid up at the last few minutes and it never seems to be a very good deal to buy... just my $0.02

11. n0otro macrumors member

I bought my current 1.5 GHz G4 Powerbook off ebay a few years ago. It was used and a great deal at the time. Didn't have any problems with it the first two years, then stuff started breaking (latch, keyboard keys, now the screen flickers and displays weird lines across on occasion) but none of that was the seller's fault. The only thing I suggest is that you buy one that has an extended applecare warranty on it, or is still within the timeframe that you can purchase a warranty separately.

12. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

agreed... goes for buying anywhere really

13. dt1027 thread starter macrumors newbie

dt1027

Thanks for all the advice, I''ve been looking on craigslist because i'd rather go that route but nothing seems to be popping up around Raleigh, NC. As for the marketplace on here, i'd love to post on there, but i think it will be a while until I get to a 100 posts and everything else seems to sell pretty quickly. Oh well, I'll make the jump to Mac sooner or later.

14. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Also look into refurbished items and 3rd party resellers. Mac of all trades and the refurb Apple store both offer deals if you're quick on the trigger.

15. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

yes you can get a nice refurb macbook at the refurb store for 800-1000... thats definitely the way to go.

1 year applecare included

16. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Here's what you need to remember about those "great prices" on eBay. If it's a "new machine" how in the world can they sell it for so cheap??? It doesn't make sense. Many of those ARE scams or false advertising. If those machines are in mint condition or new they could sell them for just 10% less than Amazon and they would still go...there's a reason they are listed for soo much less.

17. timsutcliffe macrumors 6502

Pretty good

I've got a few things from eBay, with good success. I got my Powerbook 2 and half years ago, which was great, and still is.

I've just got two more things, a Airport Express, and a new battery for my Powerbook. Both were listed as brand new, but my Airport Express although wrapped, was from 2004, and my battery from 2002/3. They both work fine, i just wish i'd known how long ago they were made before put my bid in.

eBay is fine, just check feedback, and if you think it's dodgy, don't go for it.