Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skibob1027

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
Illinois
Do any of you know of some good books/websites for those new to Mac to pick up on the basics (and eventually, more advanced features) of Tiger and the Apple platform. I've been a Windows user since 1994 - and learned all of the "in's and out's" of Windows basically through trial and error (and reformatting many, many hard drives). Now that I'm switching to a new OS, I'd like to take a cheaper route and just read up on it. :D

Thanks for any help!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Sign up for a free trial to .Mac. There are dozens of Quicktime training videos to learn from.

imacg517

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2006
Cape Town,South Africa
Learning Tiger OS

skibob1027 said:
Do any of you know of some good books/websites for those new to Mac to pick up on the basics (and eventually, more advanced features) of Tiger and the Apple platform. I've been a Windows user since 1994 - and learned all of the "in's and out's" of Windows basically through trial and error (and reformatting many, many hard drives). Now that I'm switching to a new OS, I'd like to take a cheaper route and just read up on it. :D

Thanks for any help!

Hey I went onto google and had a look around for you I'm also really new as far as Mac is concerned but within the first week I had myself getting around the basic stuff which shows you anybody can get get around the Tiger OS operating system Ive had a PC for the last 2years and it simply got the better of me so I switched to Mac and Im stoked how amazing Tiger is, take care hope this helps you http://www.macworld.com/mac_help/ speak sooon.. Sean Schwartz

skibob1027

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
Illinois
Thanks all for the prompt thoughtful responses! I have used Macs w/Tiger at school and you're right - the basics (opening/closing programs, getting around the basic menus, etc.) are rediculously easy. However, when it comes to more painstaking tasks (uninstalling programs, navigating around directories/subdirectories, knowing OS file-save patterns, etc.) I'm completely lost.

keyshawn

Cancelled
Aug 23, 2005
Since you're pretty experienced with troubleshooting and are more computer inclined, I'd definitely recommend the o'reilly books:
http://www.oreilly.com/pub/topic/mac

Sometimes, they can be a bit pricy, so I'd check out the local library to see if they would have any (although those tend to be outdated).

The missing manual to tiger - http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/macxtigermm/
would probably be the best starting point, IMHO. As you can see, they have plenty of other more advanced books out there if you want to tinker into mac's even more.

BTW, welcome to macrumors and apple world :cool:

regards,
will.

skibob1027

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
Illinois
Thanks for the link to the books - I read the chapter on spotlight and it seems more like what I need. Any other suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.