Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
I just installed the Nimitz optibay. Seeing that it's made of sheetmetal (like the MCE) it is much lighter than the Maxupgrades caddy, and consequently, it has a a little bit of flex to it; just like the Superdive. When I first bought the Maxupgrades, I thought the machined aluminum one would be the better one. I was wrong. The Nimitz one is great. Lightweight, cleanly manufactured. Fits much better than the Max Upgrades, as the Nimitz doesn't need to be "crammed" like the Max Upgrades does.

For those worried that it will slow your connection down to SATA I speeds, I can tell you that my negotiated speed is the same as the chipset's link speed. Here ya go. Probably going to order another for when I decide to put an SSD in my old 2008 aluminum macbook. As of now, I'm a happy Nimitz customer.

Attachments

• screen-capture-1.png
    screen-capture-1.png
    129.3 KB · Views: 363

clickclickw00t

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
I just installed the Nimitz optibay. Seeing that it's made of sheetmetal (like the MCE) it is much lighter than the Maxupgrades caddy, and consequently, it has a a little bit of flex to it; just like the Superdive. When I first bought the Maxupgrades, I thought the machined aluminum one would be the better one. I was wrong. The Nimitz one is great. Lightweight, cleanly manufactured. Fits much better than the Max Upgrades, as the Nimitz doesn't need to be "crammed" like the Max Upgrades does.

For those worried that it will slow your connection down to SATA I speeds, I can tell you that my negotiated speed is the same as the chipset's link speed. Here ya go. Probably going to order another for when I decide to put an SSD in my old 2008 aluminum macbook. As of now, I'm a happy Nimitz customer.

You just took a big weight off my shoulders. Waiting for my Nimitz optibay now hopefully its the same one that you got.

Did you toss an SSD or HD in there? Any sleep issues? MBP 2011 15?

Also I see your link speed for optical is 3. Did you get a 6/6 MBP or a 6/3 to start off with?

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
I only have an HDD in there. Right now I don't have an SSD, as I had one die on me and haven't gotten a warranty replacement yet. I haven't noticed any sleep issues yet, but I just put it in there right before I made this thread. However, I haven't noticed any sleep issues with the SSD prior to this, but I haven't looked for any either.

2011 15" MBP. My computer came to me with SATA3 in the HDD bay and SATA2 in the optical bay, so the optibay is running at the maximum speed allowed by the chipset for my computer. I'd guess that if you have a SATA3/SATA3 computer, it'll run at SATA3 speeds.

One note: the optibay did come with a couple of screws that go through the underside of the caddy to secure the HDD. The heads stick out a fraction of an inch when they're installed and caused my computer to not want to sit completely flat. I feel that these screws are superfluous, so I took them out.

clickclickw00t

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
I only have an HDD in there. Right now I don't have an SSD, as I had one die on me and haven't gotten a warranty replacement yet. I haven't noticed any sleep issues yet, but I just put it in there right before I made this thread. However, I haven't noticed any sleep issues with the SSD prior to this, but I haven't looked for any either.

2011 15" MBP. My computer came to me with SATA3 in the HDD bay and SATA2 in the optical bay, so the optibay is running at the maximum speed allowed by the chipset for my computer. I'd guess that if you have a SATA3/SATA3 computer, it'll run at SATA3 speeds.

One note: the optibay did come with a couple of screws that go through the underside of the caddy to secure the HDD. The heads stick out a fraction of an inch when they're installed and caused my computer to not want to sit completely flat. I feel that these screws are superfluous, so I took them out.

So your HDD is not secure?
Can you post the link for the one you ordered? How much did you pay?

got2go

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2010
I wouldn't say the HDD isn't secured. it's completely held in place by pressure.

Here is the one I ordered.

The unsecurablity is why I went with the newmodeus caddy since it can be secured to the chassis. It is $40 more though.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
The unsecurablity is why I went with the newmodeus caddy since it can be secured to the chassis. It is $40 more though.

The caddy is secured to the computer at the same points that the super drive is secured and the drive is completely and snugly secured by pressure. it's very secure and it's not going anywhere.

And it's not that the drive can't be secured to the caddy with screws. I just chose not to use them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.