Good MBP Sleeve for Active Student

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NickD, Mar 15, 2008.

1. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

I know similar questions have been asked before, but my request is fairly specific, so bear with me.

I just acquired a MacBook Pro, and I'm looking for a sleeve. I'm an active student as the title suggests, and I will be carrying the MBP with me almost everywhere I go, either in my Swiss Gear Maxxum Laptop Backpack, or my generic messenger bag (not made for laptop).

I want something that will protect the MBP from things such as small bumps while in the back, pressure from textbooks or other materials, and scratches. I also want something that fits the MBP fairly tight, and doesn't add too much bulk. I've already tried the inCase Neoprene, but I found the fit too loose for the MBP.

Once again, just looking for a basic sleeve, no handles. Any suggestions?

2. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I suggest a Booq sleeve. They're strong and not bulky.

3. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

I have a simple 15" neoprene case that I slip my MacBook Pro into and then I pack that into a 17" Init notebook case (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10093060&catid=25596).

You're probably wondering why I use two bags, it's simple actually -- when I had purchased the notebook bag I had grabbed the wrong size, so when I put my MacBook Pro inside of it I realized that I needed a smaller bag, so I got the simple neoprene slip case for it and just by luck, it fits inside of the 17" perfectly and straps in quite well, so my computer doesn't move at all inside of the case when I'm on the go.

4. Roadking macrumors 6502

www.tombihn.com

Their brain cell sleeve suspends the laptop inside the case. Plus their 4x case is made specifically for the Macbook Pro.

Check it out...

They also make bags that this smaller sleeve can lock into for greater protection.

5. MSmith1915 macrumors newbie

MBP Sleeve

Here's what I got.

http://www.brenthaven.com/catalog-edge-ii-black.html

It fits your MBP like a glove and plenty of padding for protection. Not much room for anything else but if you're carrying a backpack you can throw your extra stuff in there. For $5 you can get the AC adapter pocket under accessories.

Apple sells it on their web site, but for the same price and free shipping, I ordered it from the company web site.

Mike :apple:

6. jofus macrumors member

Isis Dei

http://www.isisdei.com/list.php?class=all&item=roachmf

Fits great, isn't too thick, and has some memory foam to absorb slight impact. Cover inside to keep the zipper from scratching the sides. Plus, they have great customer service.

Works great for my 15".

7. sjb macrumors regular

x2. I love my Mac Case. Mine is almost 4 years old and is still in great shape. Also no metal zippers or anything to scratch the beloved MBP.

http://mac-case.com/

8. Animalk macrumors 6502

My Incase sleeve has worked perfectly so far after a year of heavy student use. I highly recommend it.

9. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

Did you get the right size incase neoprene? Because I love mine for my 15" MBP. It works great and isn't too loose.

10. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

I use the Incase messenger bag and it works great.

11. macphwoar macrumors newbie

you asked for sleeve so I'm gonna give you glove :p lol..

seriously, it's called glove.. here in aus. as in it fits snugly, i guess.
    It's neoprene. and this is the only website I found for U.S.
    I've been using it for a year and still in it's prime condition.

STM FTW!!!1!

12. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

These are all great suggestions. Currently, the top candidates are the following:

Marware Sportfolio MBP
    Soft Cell by Tom Bihn
    STM Glove

Please feel free to offer more suggestions. I'm actually looking at the Marware Protection Pack or a Radtech just because they're so simple, but they don't seem to offer much protection.

13. hassouni macrumors member

I was in the same boat as you and I got a Moshi Codex. I decided hard memory foam was probably the best protection, and based on reviews, the Codex sounded sturdier than the Isis Dei, Zeroshock, and others. It's super snug, and also super protective. It's not cheap but I think it's very worthwhile.

14. Azmordean macrumors 6502

I'll actually put in a vote for the RadTech. I have one on my 12" PB and love it.. Granted it doesn't provide any shock protection, but it is very tough material and it protects the machine very well from scratches. I also like that it doesn't create any bulkiness. My rule is, if you plan to carry the laptop around in just a sleeve, the RadTech isn't enough protection. BUT if you carry it in a bag, and want to protect it from scratches etc, the RadTech is a perfect option.

The other nice thing about the RadTech is at airports.. they make you take the computer out of its bag to go through the x-ray machine.. but they've never made me take it out of the thin RadTech sleeve. That's good, considering I have no doubt those junky plastic trays would scratch it up.

15. a4abt macrumors regular

I have a Tom Bihn bag for my notebook. This bag is the best to protect your precious notebook, but it doesn't have much room for accessories and such.

16. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

STM makes high quality products, I have the sleeve for my macbook, works great hasnt stretched

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Get the Neocase if you are using another bag. If not, don't; it's kind of loose fitting.