Good Messaging on jailbroken phone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by canvasback13, Aug 5, 2011.

1. canvasback13 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

My company may begin to allow access to enterprise email on iPhones, currently they only support blackberry. On iphones the email will be available through an application called Good Messaging

They say the Good messaging wont be availble for jail broken devices. How will they be able to tell I am jailbroken? I would hate to have to remove my JB, I love a couple Cydia apps.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

usually the Dev can add something to make the app fail on JB devices it might look for cydia or other jb apps it might might look for things inside jb redsn0w pwnage tools etc. sometimes the jb community also comes up with there own fix as well. won't really know for sure till it's out.

3. TC25 macrumors 68020

We've been using Good for over a year. For reasons that should be obvious, Good is not going to tell anyone how they detect a jailbroken device (or a rooted Android) but I can tell you from personal experience they can. Not only can they detect this and refuse to allow setup, they can also detect it if it's done after the Good software has been installed and the Good software will stop working.

The Good server can also enforce other requirements on the device such as a passcode to get into the device, remove default apps such as the App Store, Safari, etc.

4. dylanursula macrumors 6502

canvasback13 - My company also rolled out the GOOD email app and one of the IT team showed me a screen regarding checking for jailbroken iPhones and the occurence at which it checks. Having a JB iphone I have kept my BlackBerry to date, but if there was a fix for it that would be great as I am starting to lose the will to carry two devices!

5. canvasback13 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. I am so depressed now. I though I was finally going to be able to have one device to meet my needs.

I stopped being able to tollerate 2 devices a couple years go. I dropped the work work blackberry because my work took away personal email, texting and required a cumbersome password to access all functions.

My dreams have been shattered. I will be forced to continue use outlook webaccess to get work email. It works but is painful to use on an iphone

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i personally would never allow my work to have any access to my personal phone

7. labman macrumors 604

labman

1+ if it's a company phone sure there phone there rules. If I'm paying for the phone my phone my rules.

8. canvasback13 thread starter macrumors regular

Its my phone, and I pay 100% of the bill. Even worse I have to pay for the Good License and a monthly fee to get remote access. I HAVE TO PAY MY COMPANY TO HAVE THE ABILITY TO WORK AT NIGHT AND OVER THE WEEKEND. It isn't much, less than $20 per month they deduct from my pay. Its just the point.

9. TC25, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

TC25 macrumors 68020

FWIW, we have 1,521 devices defined to our Good servers. 1,025 are Apple devices, 489 are Androids. We are in the process of migrating all BlackBerry users to Good.

The Blackberrys were all corporate devices while the devices used with Good are all personally owned. No charge to use the Good software and reimbursement for the device is at management discretion, up to a corporate wide maximum. Since jb and rooting does represent a risk to the corporation (save your theoretical arguments, auditors don't buy them), it's not allowed.

However, government entities have produced a Good Software STIG that, if implemented, render the rest of the device useless which would not be legal on personally owned devices. We will face this issue later this year.

10. dylanursula macrumors 6502

I believe time to jump to another employer :( That is horrific!

11. canvasback13 thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

It is horrific, but i am smart enough to realize I am very over paid and would be a fool to leave over mobile email accessibility issues.

12. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

Just curious, what industry do those with Good work in? I would think something with sensitive data (banks / financial services, government possibly, development, engineering...) would be trying utilizing this but wanted to validate it.

13. TC25 macrumors 68020

They work in all industries including federal and state governments. The Good app is secure, encrypted and the only 'communication' to the host device enabled by default is the address book. You can prevent saving attachments to the device as well as prevent attaching files from the device.

14. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I believe that is against the terms of service that you agree to when iOS is installed. :confused:

That is absolute garbage. :(

15. TC25 macrumors 68020

Assuming your belief is true, what's your point?