Good mic suggestions for Canon A1

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by recordprod, Apr 29, 2007.

1. recordprod macrumors member

Strangely although my background is in music studios I'm looking for suggestions for a decent balanced mic for my new Canon that has XLR inputs.

I'd rather keep the price sensible but I don't want an 'el cheapo rubbish mic. I don't want an omni. Ideally someone who's got the same camera could make suggestions as impedence matching etc may make a difference with other cameras.

Cheers!

:)

Mike

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Ooooh.. lucky you :p Unfortunately I can't help you at all with microphones, but I'd just like to know how you like your new camera? From what I've seen so far, it looks really nice.

3. recordprod thread starter macrumors member

I've only had it a day so too early to offer a full review but in a nutshell I like it a lot. I'm doing a full on shoot on Tuesday with it so by then hope to have figured everything out! Now I've downloaded the latest updates for FCP I'm importing 25P and am very impressed.

:)

4. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

How about a Rode NTG1 (or NTG2 if you want self-powered)? As you don't put "el cheapo" into context I'm not sure if you'll find that insultingly expensive or insultingly "cheapo". But anyway, it's very good value for money from what I've heard (both from reviews, and from when I've shot with it!). I haven't used enough mics to give you a good comparison but I found it to be good at picking out intended voices across a reasonable distance.