good mice?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by carlosbutler, Apr 22, 2008.

1. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

ive looked through the forum and was trying to find a thread about good mice. mine has just stopped for one of my computers, need to get another one. but i want a good one, not a cheapy £15 one.

ive got the logitech mx rev in mind, and also the G9 laser mouse. im looking for somthing that i can use for a long time as im going to be using a iMac (new one in june hopefully:D:D:D:D) and the mighty mouse is apparently not that ergonomic.

does anyone have any suggestions, also good/bad points. as long as its below £70 then its ok
    thanks
    carlos

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Any PC mouse will work fine, well at least the basic scrolling and left/right click. I quite like the Microsoft ones myself, but YMMV.

3. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

Since getting my iMac I've tried 2 mice, a Bluetooth Microsoft Wireless LaserMouse 8000 and a Logitech MX Revolution. The MS mouse looked great but took ages to reconnect when the iMac woke up from sleep. I got so fed up with it that I changed it for the MX Revolution.

It's a great mouse, way better than any mouse I've used before. It feels really comfortable, is really responsive and has a lot of buttons. I'm using the Logitech software to configure it, it's very easy to assign different functions to different mouse buttons for different applications. I've got a normal profile, one for Firefox and one for Lightroom.

4. carlosbutler thread starter macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

can you assign the different buttons to do different things with mac os it self, such as expose stuff?

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yes, but only with 2 buttons unless the mouse comes with extra software.

6. dmkemick macrumors member

I use the MX Revolution right now on my PC and it's the best mouse I've ever had. So good that when I get an iMac I'm not even going to mess around trying the mighty mouse, I'll go straight to the MX Revolution.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i personally prefer the VX Revolution to the MX, but it all depends on size i guess.

they work just fine with OS X, although i'm not a fan of the LCC software that they come with, it works. so do USB Overdrive and SteerMouse

8. anupamgarg macrumors newbie

I also have a Logitech MX Revolution. It works great with my iMac. Like one of the posters above me, I didn't even try to mess around with the Mighty Mouse.

Besides LCC, what software would you guys (who own an MX Revolution or something similar) use to configure the mouse?

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

USB Overdrive

SteerMouse

10. siorai macrumors 6502

I had the MX Revolution and thought it was the most bestest mouse ever possible. :p Then it died. Well, just one of the thumb buttons halfways died, but that's more than enough when it comes to a mouse. So I went out on a limb and bought the G9. In the pictures it looks pretty hideous. There's no way something with angles like that can be comfortable right? Wrong. It's absolutely the best mouse I've ever had. Period.

I started using computers when there were only two buttons. No seven buttons. No wheel. So I'm used to using my index and middle fingers for the mouse buttons. The wide body attachment for the G9 fits my hand perfectly for this configuration. I'm probably going to buy one or two extras and just put them away for when the sad, sad day arrives when this one dies.

11. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Another vote for the MX Revolution. It's the best mouse I've ever owned and I use Steermouse with it, not the Logitech drivers. :)

Just do a search for: mouse mx revolution

You will get a full page of threads with very little but high praise for the Revolution.

12. donmei macrumors regular

The mighty mouse is crap. Biggest apple turd since the Lisa. Just my humble opinion

13. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

i wonder if steve jobs will ever admit that it sucks (mighty mouse)

14. carlosbutler thread starter macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

i finally decided to go for the mx revolution. what an amazingly good mouse to use :p. also the scroll click-to-click which auto turns to free spin is really good

15. tringo macrumors regular

Everyone and their Uncle seems to have the MX Revolution, but the thing I can't fathom is how can you guys spend that much on a mouse?

I didn't realize until 5 minutes ago how expensive it is. Nearly $100!?

Tell me people what makes this thing worth that much money?

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it is pretty expensive still, and i'm not sure why. but it does have a few rather unique features, like the scroll wheel and the thumb scroll/tabb thing

17. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

I used one at my last job. I wasn't that impressed with it.

18. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

I like my mx revolution. I haven't tried many of the advanced mice out there, but this one is working for me. I was able to find one on sale for about $70. I am on my computer a lot for work and whatnot, so I consider it to be a worthy investment. I really don't need much, but I definitely want more than the mighty mouse can do.

I have found the LCC software to be adequate. Now I am curious as to what can be done with Steermouse, etc. that can't be done with LCC.

19. carlosbutler thread starter macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

what makes people buy it is that its a good thing to have. the same with anything else in life, if you pay more, you get more. the MX, which i have now bought is just amazing compared to the crappy £5 mice i had before. the same applied to keyboards. i bought the logitech g15 because i got fed up of crap keyboards.

if you have the money then there is no reason as to why someone shouldnt buy it

20. D4F Guest

D4F

21. tringo macrumors regular

Interesting. See I have no qualms about spending money on a superior product.

A major reason why I don't want to buy the MX revolution is the lack of volume control, I can't believe how reliant I have become on this feature.

I don't know the exact model number but this is the picture of the mouse I have right now. Anyone know the model of this?

Attached Files:

22. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

My MX Revolution has perfectly functional volume control, the side buttons.

Really, the mouse is so programmable and so well-designed that you can assign volume control to the mouse in any number of ways.

23. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

24. dmkemick macrumors member

When I got mine it was only ~$60, I wouldn't have bought it for $100. I agree with you, that's a bit much.

25. carlosbutler thread starter macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

check on the bottom of the mouse itself and it should tell you all the details about it....