Good Mini DP to HDMI adapter for 2011 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iphone305, Mar 19, 2011.

1. iphone305 macrumors member

Does anyone know a good Mini DP to HDMI adapter? I've been looking around, but i want to see what other people think. I have a 2011 13 inch Macbook Pro. Thanks.

2. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

I bought the cheapest thing I could find at my local Fry's store. Works fantastic for both my MacBook's listed in my sig (and a 2010 model I sold). Doesn't do sound on the 08 but that's not the HDMI adaptor's fault :)

3. sh0ebox macrumors member

They can be had for cheap from www.monoprice.com and should do the trick just fine

4. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Yep monoprice but I got off amazon due to free shipping. $5

5. DRGN89 macrumors member

anyone in the Greater Toronto Area sigelectronics has one for $5.

6. iphone305 thread starter macrumors member

Just ordered the one from Monoprice. I'll see how it works out when i get it.

7. modit macrumors 6502

Last time I checked, it didn't support audio through their adapter. I purchased the Moshi DP to HDMI adapter instead.

I also bought a VGA & DP adapter from Monoprice though so their value is good.

8. BlaqkAudio macrumors 6502

As long as your Mac supports it, the adapter does output audio as well. Their MiniDP to HDMI cables don't though.

9. modit macrumors 6502

:confused:

Sorry, not sure what you meant :eek:

10. JTToft macrumors 68040

I think you should get a Mini Display Port to HDMI cable instead of an adapter. That's much more convenient.

11. modit macrumors 6502

Maybe but in North America, Monoprice carries the cheapest adapter while the DP to HDMI cable is $50-60 + tax which is a complete rip-off.

12. iphone305 thread starter macrumors member

According to the product info on their site, it does support audio.

13. larjosd macrumors newbie

I've actually be researching this over the past week so let me give you the low down.

The mono price min DP to HDMI cable does not support audio. Their tech support said "Within the Mini display port cables, there is a chipset and the chipset in ours unfortunately does not support audio through it, even if the Mac does."
    Perhaps their mini DP to HDMI adapter does support audio. I just ordered a cable from amazon supposedly with audio support but they sent me the mono price version... :rolleyes: The ones that support audio support mini displayPort 1.1a and there's some on ebay that do this.

14. iphone305 thread starter macrumors member

Yes their site says the adapter supports audio if your mac does. Here is the item