Good MiniDV under $200

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by safetyobc, Nov 27, 2007.

1. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

Looking for a good MiniDV camcorder for use with family videos and video editing via iMovie.

Nothing hardcore, just want good quality video and have heard that MiniDV is the best way to go.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. safetyobc thread starter macrumors 6502

safetyobc

Thanks!

Anyone else have any recommendations? Just looking to compare my options before buying.

The ZR800 looks very nice.

3. seany916 macrumors 6502

No offense, but your budget limits your options quite severely.

What is a good car for under $7,000 new?

Asking a camera to capture images and send them to your computer for under $200 is a pretty small miracle as is.

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

If you can get a reliable one from ebay the ZR400 ( despite the model name ) is actually better than the ZR800 in many ways. It has a larger CCD sensor, and is really an Elura in ZR packaging.

The ZR850 is the best of the ZR bunch this year, but the 400 is still better than it IMHO. The ZR800 has external Mic input, which is noticeably missing on the 850 and the 400.

check out camcorderinfo.com for detailed reviews of all cameras. Don't forget to clic on the other sections of a review ( headers at the top are easily missed )

Though they haven't reviewed it, the "best camera under $300" award this year went to: Panasonic PV-GS85

( though I don't understand how they can gve it an ward if they haven't reviewed it, but that's just me )

5. safetyobc thread starter macrumors 6502

safetyobc

Thanks for the info.

I'm not looking for the Cadillac of cameras. I am looking for a low budget (because I don't have a lot of money) camera to capture my kids playing, kids programs, family events, etc. Nothing more. I want to be able to send it to my Macbook Pro, do some very minor editing with iMovie and maybe burn to a DVD. All with acceptable video quality.

I think the Canon ZR800 or Panasonic PV-GS85 will do the job for me.

thanks for the information! I appreciate it!

6. bloodycape macrumors 65816

If you can I would suggest looking at the Panasonic PV-GS80. It is a little older of a model, but it does have the nicety of a flash/light that the 85 does not, and you can still find this model at many retail stores brand new(at least that is what I have seen).

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Personally I think at this price level just about any miniDV camera you can find is going to be comparable in terms of features and quality. Not that I have anything against being on a budget, but you kinda have to take what you can get :) That said, they're not bad little cameras at all.

I would stick with the big brands, like Canon, JVC, Sony. You might also check into the cost of accessories for your camera (like extra batteries). Some are more expensive than others (or not readily available in the stores you shop at). Also keep in mind that once you've bought into a brand, it MAY make it easier to keep to that brand (you may be able to share batteries, chargers, etc.)