Good moment for buy an iMac 27" i7?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by raiven60, Apr 22, 2010.

  1. raiven60 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2010
    #1
    Hi! First of all i have to say that my english is not very well :p

    Anyway, this is the question: this is a good moment for buy a iMac 27" i7?
    I question this because in Buyer's Guide say that is Approaching the end of a cycle, and i don't know when apple will update their iMac.

    I just want buy now an iMac because i'm student for now, but in september i will have finished my studies.

    Someone can help me?

    Thanks!
     
  2. wessew macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2010
    #2
    There are 36 more days to get to the historic average of the replacement cycle. However, it could be sometime in the second half before it actually happens. Apple is reporting stellar sales of desktops which means iMacs and recent reports suggest the incidence of problems has declined. You can get a new iMac now in a week or less. One option is to wait until June/July to purchase. You still get your discount, you have a possible call on a revision, and Apple gets further down the production curve increasing the odds of getting a good machine. Just my thoughts.
     
  3. kultschar macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2010
    #3
    Im also in same boat as OP. Dont want to buy now due to screen nightmares and chance of imminent screen refresh!!


    Im waiting until the summer with my fingers crossed! :confused:
     
  4. Breezy2000uk macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2010
    Location:
    North Yorkshire
    #4
    I would reccomend waiting if you can. For the last 7 years, the longest apple has ever gone without updating the imac is 11 months, which would be September, although the majority of times it's around 8 months, which would be June.

    I've personally received 5 i7 imacs, all of which have had problems. My personal feelings on the matter is that for the moment, with this model, the factory producing them is completely out of their depth. That's not to say that good models don't appear, just that it seems to be down to luck as to whether you get a good one or not. Either way, I hope you get the computer that's right for you.
     
  5. raiven60 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2010
    #5
    Ok! thanks all, i will wait to June - September for buy a new iMac!

    Bye!
     
  6. mystikjoe macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2010
    #6
    august september is more like it because of the new iphone launch in june. no way to do both in one shot it'll be too much. i would not wait to buy if you are in need of a machine i'd say buy one. i'm more happy with my imac purchase than anything i can think of in the recent years!
     
  7. DenverJim macrumors newbie

    DenverJim

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2010
    #7
    I cannot argue with the previous comments. It's a personal preference. My old PC was on it's last legs and was going to blow chow soon so decided to go ahead and get one now. I ordered an 27" i5 from mac connection and arrived two days ago. it's a week 14 model. i downloaded and installed all the sw updates EXCEPT the SMC update as i had heard of issues with it. So far it's been perfect and amazing, but again it's only been two days. Also got a $100 rebate on the purchase which i used to offset the cost of an airport extreme base station, which i also needed as i was getting tired of having to reset by Dlink 855 at least once every day. Good luck with future imac.
     
  8. gianly1985 macrumors 6502a

    gianly1985

    Joined:
    May 30, 2008
    #8
    Buy it now if you're not interested into having the latest GPU or an SSDs option from Apple.
    The CPU can't get any better (see Intel roadmap), USB 3.0 will happen next year (thanks intel), RAM can't get any better (16gb), displays can't get any better (IPS+LED already), design will stay the same at least till fall 2011, so what are you wating for? Nothing....

    Plus, if the update happens in October, you loose 5 months of iMac experience and you will feel stupid when, after 2-3 months, the lightpeak/USB3.0/SATA6gbps/SandyBridge revolution happens.
     
  9. tac22 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2009
    #9
    I have to completely disagree, last year when they announce the iphone 3gs they did a major upgrade to the macbook pro's gaining sd card slots and the 13 inch becoming a pro, along with a huge drop in the macbook air's price and a spec bump. I don't expect anything huge, but i am willing to bet we will get some sort of computer upgrade wither it be imac, air, or mac pro.
     
  10. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2010
    #10
    I would recommend waiting for June's WWDC and the imac's might get updated with:

    Faster processor - maybe AMD
    Better graphics
    More RAM standard
    More usb's - USB 3.0 - unlikely

    This is all speculalion however buying an iMac when they have been out for half a year is stupid, wait for the June -September update.

    I was going to buy an iMac however it had too many problems and the MBP is too slow for how much you are paying for it
     
  11. gianly1985 macrumors 6502a

    gianly1985

    Joined:
    May 30, 2008
    #11
    1) VERY unlikely

    2) ok

    3) who cares, not worth waiting and losing months of work/fun, RAM can always be added. What WON'T change is the MAX ram, always 16gb. So who cares.

    4) you said it, unlikely


    So, wait only if you care about graphics.

    It's stupid to "start waiting" now, you risk to end up like the some people who waited the Arrandale MBPs from SEPTEMBER to APRIL (seriously).
     
  12. henrikrox macrumors 65816

    henrikrox

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2010
    #12
    while i agree the next update will probably be minor, i think most people are holding out because they are afraid of getting faulty imacs.

    So i kinda get why they are waiting.

    I was in this dilemma aswell, but i bought it, and should be recieving it soon. if the next rev is mind blowing better, i will just sell the imac and get the new one, sure i will lost a couple of hundred dollars, but then again, i have enjoyed the imac for several months, so its worth it in my opinion.
     
  13. skaertus macrumors 68030

    skaertus

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2009
    Location:
    Brazil
    #13
    I don't think the top range iMac will get a better processor. Intel has nothing better to offer at the current price of the Core i5-750 and the Core i7-860. And Apple is probably not going to move to AMD processors, at least not so soon - should it happen, it would take some time. But the Core 2 Duo iMacs will probably be replaced by new 32nm Core i3/i5 chips.

    Better graphics will certainly happen. The ATI Radeon HD 4670 will probably be replaced by the 5670. The HD 4850 is likely to be replaced by the 5770 (they both have similar TDPs).

    I don't think Apple will put more RAM as a standard option, but it may happen. 4 GB is quite good already, and you may add more if you want to. Apple may put faster RAM - 1333 MHz instead of the current 1066 MHz.

    More USBs will not happen, as Apple will keep the same shell. USB 3.0 is unlikely at this point.

    I am waiting for Apple to launch a revised iMac before I can buy it. I am interested in the 27" model, and the second revision generally has lots of problems fixed. I am not going to buy a Core 2 Duo iMac, but Apple may release new lower end Core i5 models, and these may interest me depending on the price/performance ratio.
     
  14. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2010
    #14
    Yes this is the best time to buy the iMac (sarcasm) with all these added bonus apple added like

    The amazing yellow tinge - just adds to the experience of the "ultimate display"

    The lound hard drives - everthing gets hungry sometimes even Segates HDD's

    The lack of a blueray drive
     
  15. oem macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2010
    #15
    I was going to buy a top spec iMac 27" this month, but after reading a bit on here I am a tad unsure now. I would wait a month or two if a new one was released this summer with a better graphic card / screen issue fixes. However I really could do with replacing my PC soon as its horrifically out of date, and I do a lot of graphical/rendering, so I could do with an update ASAP.

    Lets say I decided to go ahead and buy one and ignore any coming updates, do you think the yellow screen issue will be fixed soon?

    Thanks.
     
  16. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2009
    #16
    Add me to the list of those waiting for the revision. I bought a Week 45 i5 in November and it had some troubling issues from Day 1. The hard drive grumbling was annoying, the yellow tinge very apparent and worst of all, it had persistent flickering. As far as I know, only the flickering has been solved. I want to say the screen uniformity has improved on recent models since I've seen some pretty good late-week models at the Apple Store, but there are still plenty of user reports that suggest otherwise. I returned it after ten days and have since been using my hopelessly outdated Mac mini G4 running 10.3. Here's what I'm hoping for in the next revision:

    1) 2.8 Ghz i7 for the price of my i5
    2) Better graphics
    3) Quieter hard drive, Apple should ditch the Seagate drive and use the WD exclusively
    4) A screen that is at least acceptably uniform.

    If Apple can deliver, I'll give them one more chance. My money's on a June revision which isn't far away at all now! :D
     
  17. Jolt macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2009
    #17
    I was gonna get an i5 but I've decided to wait also.

    I'm not expecting anything amazing in the update, probably just a newer batch of graphics and maybe :)rolleyes:) the option of blu-ray in the top end. I'm mainly hoping that they might refine the production process to it feels a bit less like a lottery. Plus no-one likes to spend a couple of thousand dollars on a machine only to feel like it's "last season" after a few weeks.
     
  18. skaertus macrumors 68030

    skaertus

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2009
    Location:
    Brazil
    #18
    1) I don't think that's gonna happen. The price of the Core i5-750 2.66 GHz and the Core i7-860 2.8 GHz are still the same since their launch in September. Unless Intel reduces the prices of these processors (very unlikely, unless there is some pressure by AMD), I don't think Apple is gonna replace the i5 for a more expensive i7.

    2) That's definitely gonna happen. But I wouldn't expect a 5850 or a 5870 at the higher end models.

    3) I don't know about that, but I guess Apple will keep the same HDs.

    4) That's what we are all hoping for.
     
  19. d4rkd3v1l macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2010
    #19
    sorry for my english too.

    i make the same question myself before deciding to buy it now (received just yesterday and happy to say it's wonderful and maybe i'm lucky but for now no problems).

    these are my personal opinion:

    - no upgrades soon. the 27inch is out from end of november. so maybe in late winter but i think beginning 2011 (for sure not this summer)

    - you are talking about the i7 processor,the top configuration. pretty sure it will not change

    - gpu will probably change,yes nothing to say on this. is it most important for you?

    - usb 3.0: it's very soon to talk about this thing. maybe from second half of 2011

    - problem about the machine: mine (built in the week 16 - now-,i7,8gb ram,2 terabyte hard disk - hitachi and no noise) is good. but who care,i have the warranty and apple care,just enjoy it! (the display is fantastic,something like this :eek:)

    -
     
  20. miniroll32 macrumors 6502a

    miniroll32

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2010
    #20
    I'm waiting for the next revision to see if they put i5's in the 21.5" models. If they did, I'd order one in a heartbeat, but despite the nice 3ghz CoreDuo's, i'd rather have newer technology in the i5's
     
  21. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2009
    #21
    I find it hard to believe that the refreshed top factory configuration will have the same 2.66 Ghz i5 processor, especially considering that the 15/17" MBPs are now exclusively i5/i7 from the factory. I realize the Arrandale i7 is a far cry from the iMac's i7, but hey, it's marketing ;) Has Apple ever failed to bump the processor during a refresh?
     
  22. gorcman macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2010
    #22
    anyone have any ideas as to when we'll see a full blown iMac revision? I'm currently using a PC i built 2 years ago and am looking to make the transition to a Mac for my next computer. However, I am a bit hesitant to get one right away since the Aluminum iMacs came out back in 2007, and I'd hate to buy one now if Apple fully updates the iMac models a year or so from now (thats just how i feel). I'm really not in a huge hurry either.
     
  23. dwarnecke11 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 29, 2009
    #23
    Well, the last revision represents a full redesign. Today's aluminum iMacs are a completely different design than those from 2007 with aluminum backs, edge-to-edge glass on the front and of course, the screen sizes. It'll be a few years before the whole design is changed. I'm just waiting for a little speed bump/refresh so I can get out of the Stone Age and into modern times. This old G4 Mac mini is really wearing on me.
     
  24. rymack macrumors regular

    rymack

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2010
    Location:
    Thunder Bay, Ontario
    #24
    Argh, this is so frustrating! My PC is nearly dead and I am salivating at the chance to make the switch to my first Mac. The possibility of getting a yellow screen and the possibility of an update in a few months is driving me nuts! Not really sure what I should do. Fortunately, I have to wait a month or so before I can make the purchase, so I HOPE the refresh is around then so I don't miss out!
     
  25. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    #25
    I'm in the same boat as well. I have a old piece of crap 2006 hp that is on it's last legs. I badly need a new desktop, and the imac is my top choice to make the switch to mac for the first time.

    Just hate to get one now and in another 2 months they refresh it.
     

Share This Page