Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Holy zombie thread, Batman! This thing just won't die!

question - how accurate are those "preview monitor's" when using something like a matrox MXO2 mini connected to your standard household TV?
I know it won't be like using a broadcast monitor like someone posted above but will it offer a better idea on what one would see once it is broadcasted?
It'll most likely be better than using a computer monitor being fed by a GFX card but the limitation will obviously be the quality (and configurability) of the TV. Default TV settings are set to make the image 'pop' and it's usually the only more expensive sets ($1000 and up) that allow you enough control over the image to undue the damage of the factory settings.

Another vote for the Dell U2412. I use mine for pro photography work, and a friend uses one for video work (running their own business). Ignore the posters who responded at the start of the thread - they clearly have no idea about prioritising costs when starting up in business. Not everyone has unlimited funds, and even if you do have a healthy bank balance it's best not to blow everything on equipment, but to keep some pennies tucked away for a rainy day...
Being on unlimited funds is all the more reason to budget appropriately and not buy anything before you've accounted for everything you need. There were certainly some immature posts at the top of the thread but the OP asked for something rather important, IMO, that apparently wasn't affordable to him because he'd spent so much money already on a laptop. You just aren't going to get "good NTSC fidelity" from FCP sending a signal out to a computer monitor hooked up to the GFX card. Not to mention that a good monitor will have a much longer working life than a computer. It's sort of like photography where lenses stay but camera bodies come and go.

Last edited by a moderator:

brandon2886

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2008
I currently use an Asus VW246H. Works great as a secondary monitor for my 2008 MBP, but horrible in terms of post grading and finishing for HD broadcast. Im pretty used to it now and none of the cable station's I work with have sent anything back for that reason.

That said, I enjoy post color correction and want a better less expensive monitor. I'll most likely be upgrading to an New 27inch imac fairly soon as my MBP is not keeping up anymore. I'm looking into a 24-27 monitor to replace my current Asus. Something with more features and that I can calibrate.

Everyone seem to like the Dell UltraSharp U2412 but whats the major different between that and this Dell UltraSharp U2412M? Also does anyone have experience working with the Asus IPS displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.