Good monitor for video editing

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Pritchardly, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Pritchardly macrumors newbie

I'm a professional editor myself but I've typically just had whatever the current Apple monitors were to work with. Now I'm going off on my own as a freelancer and I'm looking looking to get a relatively inexpensive monitor with good NTSC fidelity to compliment my brand new quad-core MBP. After shelling out so much on the laptop I just can't justify going for the $999 Apple monitor no matter how great they really are. My target range is between $200 and $300.

The models I am looking at so far are the Dell U2211H, U2311H and NEC EA232WMi.

I'm liking the Dells best but I've read a few things about them not always playing nicely with Macs but nothing about them with the newest MBPs. It's nice that the NEC is also LED but it's 14ms response time seems painfully slow.

Does anyone have any other models or tips on things I should be looking out for? Personal experience with any of the above monitors would also be greatly appreciate. Alternatively if there is a standard Macrumors thread for these kinds of questions I'll gladly take a look there. Thanks!

2. JackieHD macrumors newbie

i dont know if its dell the problem or the actual mini display converter to dvi/vga/hdmi cuz on my laptop it kinda acts weird somtimes. if anything buy the branded wire from mac and test it out to see if its works properly. for the monitor i think dell should be good, i havent heard anything bad

3. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

I personally would go with the second of the 2 dell monitors especially for video since more monitor space is always a plus.

I personally like Dell monitors minus the fact that the factory color calibration tends to be pretty awful.

I have never had any issues with any of my dell monitors as far as compatibility etc.

Cheers

4. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

I'd strongly recommend you go take a careful look at Anand's monitor reviews. They have a nice range of instrumented testing they perform so the reviews are actually worth reading for professionals. Than I'd just choose whatever your budget can work with.

Regarding the 14ms response time I wouldn't worry about it at all.

5. stonegammage macrumors member

Monitor

Tons of options. Dells make pretty good monitors. What if you bought a Dell Monitor and got a Mini-DVI to HDMI adapter? If the Dell monitor had an HDMI port that would be insanely awesome.

What about a 22" to 30" Samsung TV? I know...but it does have HDMI and Macs (the current ones) are more than capable of putting out HDMI. I'd go for that one.

We all know that the best ones are the Apple Cinemas. But try the Dell. It's cheap and cool. Start with Dell and Samsung if the Cinema Display is not in your budget. Cheers!:)