Good Montreal ISP?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Consultant, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Consultant, Sep 25, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Looking for internet service provider in Montreal. Found a few companies, are they any good? What are other options?

- Videotron (other people in building has it but with occasional problems)
    - Electronicbox (Seems to have inexpensive cable internet? Is it reliable?)

Location: Montreal downtown. Won't have land line. So DSL would have to be dry loop. Looking for 8 Mbps down / 1 Mbps up. Cable internet seems cheaper?

P.S. Already experienced Bell hell. Tried to signed up with Bell, didn't work out with the horrible company. Supposed to install on Sept 10, but technician said line had problem, so no go. They sent another technician, still no go. And then somehow Bell just forgot. Wrote to them about the case and the rep was completely clueless about fixing the line.

2. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Is Teksavvy available in Montreal? We use them here and they are amazing.
    Awesome customer service, and very honest. If the service is not available in your area with the advertised speeds they tell you upfront.

Speeds and price are also great.

3. Consultant thread starter macrumors G5

Consultant

Thanks looks like Teksavvy is available. Their cable internet is slightly cheaper for 8 down /1 up even with equipment costs. Might go with that.

I guess the only company with Fiber internet is Bell?

4. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

If you want FAST internet, your only choice is Videotron.

They have a 60mbps service in Montreal (the faster ones are only in Quebec City.

http://www.videotron.com/residentia...l-internet/internet/utimate-speed-internet-60

It ends up costing about 100$/month so it isn't cheap, and the uplink is limited to 3mbps.

I haven't found faster, but you may find cheaper!:D:

5. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Have a look at Firenoire internet. That can build fiber optic links up to 1 Gbps.

Oh, you mean residential internet? :p I'm in Québec and I have signed up with Vidéotron because they are the only ones available in my apartment complex. Bell Fibe should be available next year, and I will definitely switch. Cheaper and faster.

6. Consultant, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012

Consultant thread starter macrumors G5

Consultant

Thanks guys.

Ordered with teksavvy. Turned out that for the apartment, they are using Videotron lines and technician to install.

It is a larger cost up front for install & modem purchase, but should be slightly cheaper after monthly fees for a year.

7. Consultant thread starter macrumors G5

Consultant

Bell just sent an email that the account is ready to be billed. WTF!? There is not even service from them.

8. Consultant thread starter macrumors G5

Consultant

Teksavvy failed too.

It's been 2 weeks since they charged my credit card for an install, and there still isn't an install date yet for their Videotron line. Teksavvy is also having a major service outage today.

I've called Videotron, which said they can install a line in the SAME DAY. Hum