Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I don't blame this guy - but clearly it's great PR for anyone to get associated with Apple marketing engine and looked upon as an expert.

However, I am not convinced that the Apple watch really does anything more than other equipment that exists and/or that can be more accurate. Perhaps I am wrong. I just don't see it right now.

So you basically don't believe Apple can do something better than others..... Interesting point.

Quote on the contrary, I'm convinced they are going to surprise us with the watch.
Still non entirely convinced to buy one.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
PR for sure can be unintentional pushing corporations, like Apple, into damage control - Do you recall the recent “bending iPhone 6+”? It was only after the youtube video that Apple invited cameras into their testing facility.

The fact it had already sold 20M+ by that time, and back ordered solid for the next 2 months, and sold 55M in the 2 month that followed, makes me think that it didn't have any effect at all on sales.

BTW, that's 24M phone more than the previous year in that quarter!!

The Apple visit was not covered widely compared to the bending hype, so its PR effect was kind of muted; so the conclusion is that people believed Apple rather than a video by an idiot.

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008
Tha's only if you need GPS to run; are you lost? Otherwise it works by itself.

Go to the Apple web site and read it yourself because obviously your not going to listen to me saying it...

I'll believe you if you can show me a link on apple's website, to where the music will be stored... And how much memory it will have. I would love for the watch to be able to play music without an iPhone, so I wouldn't mind being wrong.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
I'll believe you if you can show me a link on apple's website, to where the music will be stored... And how much memory it will have. I would love for the watch to be able to play music without an iPhone, so I wouldn't mind being wrong.

Seriously, find it yourself. MAn. It takes two minutes. You'Re now on my ignore list.

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
all of this and they couldn't make it more waterproof...

Last year I spent about $100 on a waterproof case for my iPhone 5s. It added enough bulk to the phone to make it impractical for anything other than underwater use, but it was lightweight. Used it a couple of times without incident, but on the third time it leaked water which damaged the phone, requiring its replacement.

I've just recently purchased a waterproof case for my iPhone 6. This one is extremely heavy and bulky and was more expensive, but it's built like a tank and can go well below 100 ft. underwater.

Why am I describing all this? To illustrate the fact that true, robust water resistance adds A LOT of bulk to any device. An Apple Watch with real water resistance (allowing you to swim and maybe snorkel with it) would have either made the Watch huge or would have dramatically shrunk the available space for the battery, eliminating the all day battery life.

I know that making the Watch really water resistant would have been a game changer, allowing people to stay connected at the beach or pool where their phones can't go. But I don't see it happening for a long while - until we see a great deal more evolution of battery technology.

----------

You know that with the Apple Watch, you must run while lugging your iPhone in your pocket, or on your arm... Right? It doesn't work unless paired with a iPhone.

That's incorrect. The Watch can track steps and play music without an iPhone, although you lose GPS functionality.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Tha's only if you need GPS to run; are you lost? Otherwise it works by itself.

Go to the Apple web site and read it yourself because obviously your not going to listen to me saying it...

I'd like to check how accurate it will be without the GPS tracking.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Apple sure is spending quite a bit of PR resources for this watch. I cannot recall any other Apple product that has garnered this much *intentional* attention prior to launching.

Maybe. There was also no other Apple product that has received as many "this is a useless device" press reviews prior to the official launch, at least not not in Germany, and certainly not from publications that usually hype Apple products. But the press in Germany does not seem to be very excited about the Apple Watch. But well, even the people that I know that otherwise own almost every other Apple product fail to see any use or need for that watch. One reason could be that some of them already wear watches that did cost five digit sums. The other might be that watches in general feel out of place in our age.

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
The ironic thing is that with all these health apps in the watch if we had this a while ago Steve Jobs would still be alive. Maybe even Leonard Nemoy.

Riiiiiight, because pancreatic cancer is caused by lack of exercise. :rolleyes:

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
You know that with the Apple Watch, you must run while lugging your iPhone in your pocket, or on your arm... Right? It doesn't work unless paired with a iPhone.

You know you're WRONG. The watch does all sorts of things WITHOUT a phone, like the time, playing music, tracking workouts.

But I see from previous posts, that you don't care to actually READ what is on the Apple website.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Every time I see someone on forums like this suggesting some brilliant solution to Apple I think: aren't they aware Apple is thoroughly testing every device before commercialization ?

If only Apple had smarter people working there this watch would have a retina display, GPS, wifi, cellular, be completely waterproof and get a weeks worth battery life on a charge. :p

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
Where will this music be stored? How much memory will it have?

The Watch can hold 2 GB of music for offline listening. To enjoy Spotify, Beats Music, and others we'll have to wait for those companies to develop required watch apps.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
So you basically don't believe Apple can do something better than others..... Interesting point.

Quote on the contrary, I'm convinced they are going to surprise us with the watch.
Still non entirely convinced to buy one.

No - once again you fail to understand what I've written - or just like employing straw man arguments.

Renzatic

Suspended

There was never a "never" implied in what he said. He thinks what I pretty much think, that the Apple Watch isn't currently much better than what the competition is offering.

I think the one thing that's hurt the Apple Watch the most, at least among the tech pundits, is the hype and expectations surrounding it. I think a lot of people were expecting the Apple Watch to be the iPhone of the wearable scene, making everything else look liked dated Blackberries. That didn't turn out to be the case.

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008
You know you're WRONG. The watch does all sorts of things WITHOUT a phone, like the time, playing music, tracking workouts.

But I see from previous posts, that you don't care to actually READ what is on the Apple website.

Yeah I was wrong, however I couldn't find anything on the apple website about the local storage of the apple watch. It seems to be only posted on other tech websites. So you guys are pointing me into the wrong direction. Maybe if you READ the apple website yourself, you'd know that.

And if you READ the posts since that post you'd know that someone already posted a link.

Last edited:

lchlch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2015
Yeah I was wrong, however I couldn't find anything on the apple website about the local storage of the apple watch. It seems to be only posted on other tech websites. So you guys are pointing me into the wrong direction. Maybe if you READ the apple website yourself, you'd know that.

true, but according to the site they have confirmed that info with apple.

furthermore, tim cook himself said that the watch is able to play music.
[source:http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...ome-run-apple-watch-will-play-music-without/]
[note: sorry, not interested in watching the whole interview to find the specified part]

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
The Apple Watch doesn't have to do more to be a success - the Apple Watch is just another way to do the same thing other equipment does, but making it more convenient.

For example, running with music - it's MUCH more convenient to use wireless earbuds and wear a watch than lugging an iPhone on your arm or in your pocket.

Looking at statistics during your run - much more convenient on a watch vs. pulling out a phone (which is difficult when running), or using a FitBit-type device where you can't see stats until you're connected to a computer when you're done.

It's up to the consumer if $350-$1000 is worth this convenience. There are many more.

I'm still a little unclear on this. The Watch has an accelerometer to measure general movement like stepping and standing. But for an accurate measurement of distance travelled, or to understand the difference between cycling and running, it still relies on your iPhone's GPS and Wi-Fi.

So won't you still have to carry your iPhone with you when you run or workout to best measure your progress?

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008

3square

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2014
why is that guy in the beginning holding a clipboard? shouldn't he be holding an iPad?:rolleyes:

davida1

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2011
Atlanta
Horsewatch

Horse K4.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.