Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drsarg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Hi

I have a 13inch 2010 MacBook Pro and I use the keyboard and track pad a lot while portable, however at home I plug in my Logitech Wave Cordless Mouse and Keyboard.

I like this keyboard and mouse, however the mouse is rubbish. If you move it slowly, it is too slow; then if you suddenly move it then it is too fast! I sometimes end up using the track pad instead because the mouse doesn't work well on the Mac. I also use the mouse on my desktop PC and it works fine.

My question is, what is a good keyboard and mouse for the mac and a PC? Preferably I want something that works on both, however if nothing else then I can just have something good for the Mac and keep my current set as well.

I did have a look at the new Magic Mouse, however that is very expensive, doesn't have a keyboard and might not work on the PC. Maybe somebody could give me some advice on this as maybe that is the route for me to take? Even though I want a keyboard as well, a mouse on its own is a higher priority than just a keyboard.

So please can I have some advice on what to get? The main use of the mouse would be my MacBook Pro in close clamshell mode and for gaming on shooting ones that I can't use track pad for. Thanks :apple:

drsarg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Even though I said I don't want something too expensive. However if its good then I'll probably buy something expensive.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
I've fallen in love with the Logitech MX620 for both Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard). This wireless laser mouse has a great weight and feel of quality. The logitech control center software works well under both XP and OS X. You can assign functions and keystrokes to all six buttons plus the push-left and push-right buttons of the scroll wheel (so I consider it really an eight-button mouse). Different applications can have different button assignments.

It uses AA batteries, and alkalines last me 9 - 12 months, even though I never turn the mouse "off". You could of course use standard AA rechargables.

The mouse pointer tracking seems perfect to me and I love how it works with my 24" iMac and with my wife's 14" PC laptop.

The only problem is finding one -- I think they may be discontinued? Here's a link to amazon where you can get a "Used - Like New" MX620 for only $23 including shipping! In fact, I'm thinking about doing that just to have an extra.

drsarg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
I've fallen in love with the Logitech MX620 for both Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard). This wireless laser mouse has a great weight and feel of quality. The logitech control center software works well under both XP and OS X. You can assign functions and keystrokes to all six buttons plus the push-left and push-right buttons of the scroll wheel (so I consider it really an eight-button mouse). Different applications can have different button assignments.

It uses AA batteries, and alkalines last me 9 - 12 months, even though I never turn the mouse "off". You could of course use standard AA rechargables.

The mouse pointer tracking seems perfect to me and I love how it works with my 24" iMac and with my wife's 14" PC laptop.

The only problem is finding one -- I think they may be discontinued? Here's a link to amazon where you can get a "Used - Like New" MX620 for only $23 including shipping! In fact, I'm thinking about doing that just to have an extra.

Thank you. I assume all of the mouse buttons are fully functional on Snow Leopard? With the current Logitech mouse I have, not many of the buttons work.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Thank you. I assume all of the mouse buttons are fully functional on Snow Leopard? With the current Logitech mouse I have, not many of the buttons work.

You should buy one of the Logitech mice that officially support Mac and Windows, not just Windows.

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)

Yes, all of the buttons are fully functional on Snow Leopard. I've assigned buttons to be the keystrokes "Command-W", "Command-C", and "Command-V", and Expose. I left the tilt-left and tilt-right scroll wheel buttons to be horizontal scroll, though I'm considering re-assigning them too.

Those are my "global" assignments. Then you can change them for specific applications. For example, when I'm using Sketchup, I have the Command-W button do the "Orbit" function keystroke instead, and also slow down the speed of scrolling by the scroll wheel.

I'm using Logitech Control Center (LCC) software version 3.2.0 and it works perfectly. It installs as a preference pane in System Preferences.

drsarg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Yes, all of the buttons are fully functional on Snow Leopard. I've assigned buttons to be the keystrokes "Command-W", "Command-C", and "Command-V", and Expose. I left the tilt-left and tilt-right scroll wheel buttons to be horizontal scroll, though I'm considering re-assigning them too.

Those are my "global" assignments. Then you can change them for specific applications. For example, when I'm using Sketchup, I have the Command-W button do the "Orbit" function keystroke instead, and also slow down the speed of scrolling by the scroll wheel.

I'm using Logitech Control Center (LCC) software version 3.2.0 and it works perfectly. It installs as a preference pane in System Preferences.

Just downloaded that Logitech Control Centre and it works fine with my current mouse and keyboard, which makes the buttons work and the sensitivity is a lot better. Therefore I probably won't get a new mouse and keyboard. Thanks Brian.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.