Good mouse hint from OS X Daily

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mac2x, Jul 14, 2010.

1. mac2x macrumors 65816

Thought I'd share this for those who haven't seen it already...this is really awesome if you've always wanted your Mac's mouse to behave like a PC mouse.

http://osxdaily.com/2010/06/02/kill-os-x-mouse-acceleration-from-the-command-line/#comments

It's easy to do and easily reversible simply by messing with the tracking slider in System Prefs.

In a terminal:

Code:
    $ curl -O http://ktwit.net/code/killmouseaccel
    Code:
    $ chmod +x killmouseaccel
    Code:
    $ ./killmouseaccel mouse
    And voilà!! Your mouse now behaves like a PC mouse, free from crappy acceleration. Personally, I prefer the acceleration I get from MagicPrefs to this. But it's still cool. :) Best of all, it's free!

2. kasakka macrumors 68000

For the record mice on Windows do have mouse acceleration and it's a good thing. The difference is that OSX just has a really poor mouse acceleration curve.

I find 3rd party drivers like Steermouse and USB Overdrive do much better in getting the feel of the mouse right. Simply disabling acceleration will not do in my experience.

3. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I disabled the acceleration, but I found it hard to pinpoint small buttons on the screen (like the little x to close a tab).

So I put it back.

4. elleana macrumors regular

Now, who would want that? :rolleyes:

5. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I actually prefer the Mac acceleration curve. Maybe I'm just used to it.

6. mac2x thread starter macrumors 65816

I have the same problem on Win XP. :D Look folks, I just threw this out there for those interested. If you don't like, that's just fine with me. :)