Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Welshman2oo5

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2009
Hey everyone,

I've been on the prowl for a good casual turn based game. I really like how i can play words with friends at my own pace and receive a push notification when its my turn. I found one game that was very similar to advance wars for the game boy, it is called mecho wars (.99). It's not perfect but pretty fun.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

thanks for your time!

Manning

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2007
Carcassonne is my favorite
Words With Friends
Strategery

I'd love to hear some more as well.

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Carcassone is really sweet. It's not turn based like WWF is, though. It's live-play, though it is turn by turn, unless I missed that option.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I still haven’t dug into it too much (just the single player mode for a few missions) but UniWar supports Push and gets good reviews. Kind of a pixel-art-style sci-fi strategy game.

(For some non-Push fun, but where the games are short so lacking Push can be OK, I have enjoyed Star Hogs. Turn-based action/artillery with a gazillion upgrades to discover and a good single-player campaign too.)

Gokunama

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
[app]UniWar[/app]'s a lot of fun, not always balanced if someone just never comes back to the game. Push notifications haven't been working for everyone lately, but the developers know that and are working on fixing that.

[app]Chess With Friends[/app] is also good if you like chess.

ssspinball

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Carcassone is really sweet. It's not turn based like WWF is, though. It's live-play, though it is turn by turn, unless I missed that option.

Carcassonne most definitely supports asyncronous turn-by-turn with push notifications, just like WWF. Choose Normal > Internet > Play with friends. It's really great and I enjoy this game more than WWF (which is also very good).

Carcassonne also has high-rez iP4 graphics. :)

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Carcassonne most definitely supports asyncronous turn-by-turn with push notifications, just like WWF. Choose Normal > Internet > Play with friends. It's really great and I enjoy this game more than WWF (which is also very good).

Carcassonne also has high-rez iP4 graphics. :)

Nice! Anyone want to add me as a friend? Looks like you have to do it via email, so PM me your address (or ask for mine) and we can get started!

JmanInSF

macrumors member
May 11, 2010
My two cents

Carcassone is awesome. Love the board game. Love the app.

Regarding Might & Magic. I can't really put a lot of weight behind a company that wants me to play their game, but when I go to their site on my iOS device, I can't see the demo because it's all Flash based.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.