Good netbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by waloshin, Oct 2, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

What's a good netbook that supports 2 gbs of ram, and is around $200? 10" screen would be great!

The Hp 1139NR would be perfect , but it only supports 1 gb of ram :(

2. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Dell Mini. Usually I tell people to avoid Dell laptops like the plauge but the Mini is decent and it's easy to get OSx86 running on it.

3. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I would say the Dell mini 10v. You can get them very cheap (sometimes $180) and they are also easily hackable.

I have the HP mini 110 and love it. Though it is $100 more than you want to spend.

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

The HP models do support 2GB for reference, it's just that in order for them to sell it with xp, it needs to meet Microsoft's standards for a netbook, which cannot exceed a single gigabyte of memory. You can always upgrade it yourself; a 2GB piece doesn't cost too much.

5. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

6. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

I had a Dell Mini 9 and really liked it except for the keyboard; the size was a little bit small for me, but the real problem was the ' key being relocated to the bottom row. I just could not get used to that.

If you have a Best Buy nearby they usually have a selection of netbooks, so you could check a few out first-hand.

7. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

The Acers are the closest I've come to actually seeing a "good" netbook, but even that I wouldn't use.
    I might be a snob, but I won't use gadgets that will annoy me that much.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Samsung nc10. I have on with built in hsdpa and it's great. Usually get 9.5 hours battery life too.

9. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

MSI Wind is a "Good" Netbook that supports 2gb.

I've got one here but can't really recommend netbooks in general.
    There's nothing wrong with it other than it's just annoying.

In particular, the 10" screen while just barely wide enough for a webpage is just too small as is the size and location of the trackpad.

It's a very handy yet annoying Windows Box to have around.

Have Fun,
    Keri

PS. Apple once stated that they would never produce a Netbook because the user experience is too poor.
    I feel that they're right... MB Air is about the smallest I would go next time.

10. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Asus 1005HA have gotten quite good reviews.
    Been thinking about getting one myself

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

1.5 ghz 12" g4 powerbook with 1.25 gigs of ram. C'mon, ebay...

All netbooks have some sort of trade off design wise, and I'm not talking about the limitations of the atom processor or gma950 video graphics. Many have keyboards that are maddening, such as tiny right shift keys, keys that are too close together, or funky function key placements. Some have tiny, tweaky postage stamp sized trackpads, or funky trackpad button placements. Some have cheap 3 cell batteries that get two hours or less of usage. Some have truly mattel like build quality.

Asus 1000HE (due to the improved keyboard and battery life) or dell mini 10v with 6 cell battery. Be advised that upgrading the ram in the dell is a true PITA.

12. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

How's about the Asus Eee Seashell? It's like a MacBook Air for less than £300!

13. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Agreed. My nc10 is fantastic. Jobs is full of it. Netbooks are great secondary machines.

14. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I was kind of looking at one, but I've heard bad things about the touchpad. How is it to use?

15. aethelbert macrumors 601

The chipset still supports 2GB.

16. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

It's a matter of personal pref. I've tried the MSI (felt like a ford model-t), the HP mini 1000 (super slick, but hacking was a pain), and have finally found the one for me - the dell mini 10v. It's a nice balance of sturdy feel, slick-enough look, and hackability. The dell outlet store has them in the $219 range occasionally. The asus eeepc surf (solid build, slick-enough look) can be had pretty cheap as a refurb (about $100 for 4gb hd and ubuntu), but it's a 7" er.

17. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Once your used to it it's fine.

18. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Did I make a mistake?

I won a MSI Wind U100-641US and I was wondering did I make a mistake not buying an Acer Aspire one 8.9"?

19. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...after looking at all the brands, I went with the Asus in my sig... its already ~2 yrs old and still going pretty strong (and still running winXP)...

The newer Asus 1005/1000 HE's have great keyboards and battery life in such a small package but you're better off waiting if you can.

Most of the major makers are waiting to see what :apple: does with their net tablet and aren't really releasing anything substantial until after :apple: does...

20. weckart macrumors 68040

LOL, quite the reverse. The Aspire One is a PITA to add memory to. You basically have to dismantle it. It also has a smaller screen (same screen resolution, though) and a louder fan. The trackpad button placement is also annoying to some.

Moreover, the Wind is fully hackable - everything works, including sleep and hibernation.

I would agree about waiting until after Windows 7 is released officially and probably towards the end of the year if you can. You will see netbooks ramp up their internal hardware specs after the Microsoft brakes are taken off. Dual core Atoms and ION based motherboards should become more common, with AMD also joining in with its low-power cores.

21. shoesclothes01 macrumors newbie

22. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I've owned several asus eeePCs and I love them. Each had 2gb of ram.

23. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I've been very pleased with the Asus eee PC 1005HA. I replaced with 1 GB stick with a 2 GB stick -- easily done. It's responsive, and the battery life is excellent. It can be had with a matte screen, too.

24. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I'll give you an "amen" on that one! I just sold my netbook and replaced it with a PowerBook, though I ended up with a 15". (I haven't gotten the PB yet, so I can't comment on it...) The netbook was just too many trade offs - slow, tiny screen (resolution), GMA950, mine had a super-slow 16GB SSD... I finally gave up on it.

To the OP: Good luck with yours. I hope you got one with a hard drive, as the SSDs they put in these things are garbage.

25. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

If it wasn't also a PITA to replace the hard drive, I'd get another one in a minute and install an ssd. (My clumsy hands are prone to breaking the keyboards when I try to update it myself.) Max the ram to 2 gigs if it doesn't have it already, consider a faster hd (samsung i believe makes a 160 gb single platter ide notebook drive that's almost as fast as a 7200 rpm) and optimize your system to turn off unnecessary eye candy under 10.4 and 10.5, and it's quite a usable mini machine. If I didn't have a) a 2.4 ghz uni mb and other more pressing needs for my cash right now, I'd be on ebay to snag one.

It'll be interesting to see what netbook makers do with the ion chipset, features, and price points. A dell mini10v with ion, 2 gigs of ram, and a 6 cell battery could be quite a usable second machine.