Good Network Attached Storage

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Monkeychemist, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Monkeychemist macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I am looking to upgrade from regular external hard drives to a NAS for backup, photos, home movies, etc... so that it's easier to access from all of our macs (imacs and macbook airs all running Lion) in the house. I've looked at a few so far and I can't seem to really find my favorite of the bunch based on internet searches. There are three that seem pretty established in the about same price range but they all seem to suffer from poor reviews:

Buffalo
    Seagate
    Western Digital

Then there is what seems to be a newcomer with good reviews but only 4 of them, so it's hard to judge:

Lacie

Does anyone here have any recommendations? Ones to avoid? doesn't matter go for the cheapest? Another brand I missed?

Thank you very much!

2. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

Synology is a brand that lots of forum members use. Not me, I've been using Netgear for more than 5 years.
    Synology seems to get the vote due to lots of OSX friendly features. Do a forum search and you'll find much info.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

4. Monkeychemist thread starter macrumors member

thanks for suggesting Synology. From what I can gather this is not a stand alone item to purchase. I need to buy that and a couple of hard drives, is that correct? If so, that makes it significantly more expensive $450ish versus $175 from the ones I had looked at earlier. Am I missing something or is that just the price of quality :)

Thank you,

Jeremy

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Yes the Synology doesn't include drives. No decent NAS would.

A Seagate 3TB drive is $89 on Boxing day here in Toronto.