Good news about AT&T LTE, but not really

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dread, Mar 12, 2012.

1. dread macrumors 6502a

The good news is AT&T announced LTE rollout for a few more markets

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/12/...te-expansion-plans-to-light-up-eleven-market/

The bad news is this may take 3 months, which shows you how slow the rollout will be to other markets.

What is AT&T doing? They still have edge in a large area of the country including along major highways. When I drive through PA on I-80 its like being in the dark ages. Estimates for completion of their LTE network are over six years and this will not include rural areas. T

Verizon will have all major highways and cities covered with LTE in the next 9 months with complete coverage of their 3g network by the end of 2013. They are also ahead of schedule so they may be done in a year if all goes well.

I think it will be tough for AT&T to continue competing with Verizon especially given their poor treatment of loyal customers with their data throttling and no unlocking iPhone policies. I have an AT&T iPhone and switched my iPad order to verizon from AT&T because of their slow LTE rollout plans and useless 250 MB data plan. I will consider verizon for my next iPhone as well if AT&T doesn't make some major changes.

I know AT&T is the better option for some people due to their location and/or unlimited sims, but I think we will start seeing a major swing in the numbers of iDevices on each network.

2. Kauai macrumors 6502a

If I wasn't getting unlimited data with AT&T (on my new iPad) I would very likely go with Verizon. They really need to start converting their EDGE network, especially along major highways like you said. When I go on long trips, I'm almost always stuck on EDGE once we leave the city whereas my Verizon iPad almost always had 3G.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What are you talking about? The rollout of LTE is a massive undertaking. Look at the coverage map of your favorite cell phone provider or providers. See where it is in this venture. If you can find a map for each year going back five years, then review the progress year over year.

When I bought my first iPhone back in 2007, there was much kvetching about the fact that it did not do 3G. Well, in home state, AT&T had 3G in just two metropolitan areas. My hometown was upgraded to 3G just last year--late just last year. Just as AT&T has gotten a handle of 3G, it is now deploying 4G.

When you are 15, everything is possible. When you are an adult, things take time and they take money. And if you think that the competition is doing better than AT&T, then think again. Some brilliant individuals recently discovered that 4G is not really 4G. AT&T's competition began touting their new 4G service about a year ago. Thing is, their new 4G does not meet the original standard for 4G. So many providers called their non-compliant service "4G," that the standards body gave up and let them get away with it.

4. liquidlink macrumors member

3G was in a lot more markets then only 2 in 2007, time for you to check your facts. If you only got 3G last year you must live in the middle of nowhere. Verizon started rolling out LTE in 2010. AT&T started Late 2011 and needed the TMO purchase for the additonal spectrum to get LTE out faster but that did not happen.

5. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

I realize it takes a while, but six years is ridiculous especially when they haven't even completed their 3g rollout. All I'm saying is Verizon will dominate even more unless AT&T gets their act together and that those that are buying AT&T iPads may have a long time to wait to take advantage of the technology. Maybe by the 6th generation iPad they will be ready.

6. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

Yep. Exact same boat. Unlimited data keeps me on AT&T. Once that goes, I'm going to verizon.

7. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Well, I sure hope those bozos roll out 3G in my area - have been stuck with Edge since day one, although 3G is available about a mile to the north. :mad:

Only went with AT&T because their reps claimed 3G would be available in "a couple of months." That was over a year ago. Now the claim is that LTE will be available in "a couple of months." And pigs fly.

If I decide to buy the third generation iPad, it won't be an AT&T model.

8. aneftp macrumors 68040

I live right outside of orlando in the surburbs.

Let me tell u this. I highly doubt Verizon will cover their 3G footprint by end of 2013 with all LTE.

LTE is very flaky in Orlando, and Wash DC where I travel most. Inside both city proper u do get strong LTE. But once you start moving into surburbs it's hit or miss. Mind you Verizon has had LTE in both of these cities for more than a year.

LTE reminds me of UMTS with Cingular back in late 2004/early 2005 when I was back in DC. 3 G back than would go in and out.

I do not see Verizon matching their entire 3G footprint with LTE in less than 22 months. Way too many gaps to fill in even in establish areas.

Was just in Miami this weekend. Same crap. LTE in and out back to CDMA with my Galaxy nexus.

Will AT&T be any better with LTE? No. But u at least have hspa plus to fall back on.

I honestly do not envision a mature LTE network for Verizon until 2014 and AT&T 2015.

9. eikast macrumors member

I'm surprised that so many people are AT&T fan boys. I switched from AT&T to Verizon because I was sick of the garbage service. The only advantage that AT&T had over Verizon 2 years ago was that they had the iPhone . A year ago their advantage was that they used GSM technology that allowed for data and call plus faster network speeds. Now that apple is turning to LTE, AT&T has nothing on Verizon . Verizon has a larger 3G and LTE network along with better service and customer service.

10. eikast macrumors member

Keyword "Galaxy Nexus". That phone is an abomination when it comes to signal. Samsung did a horrible job with the antenna. If you want to really test Verizon's LTE network get a reliable LTE phone such as the Rezound.

11. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

I don't see many AT&T fan boys in this thread. A few have already said they're only on AT&T bc they still have unlimited data.

12. donnaw macrumors 65816

Well for us the advantage for AT&T has always been that we can use our same phones when we go overseas. Just switch out the sim. Verzion nor Sprint was never really an option.

For our iPads AT&T coverage has usually been pretty good. The only areas we've been through where we had no coverage was the desert in AZ.

We've never had any bad issues with AT&T. Customer service has always been good, although I admit I rarely call them. We travel a lot and service has been pretty good but I admit I don't stress if I don't have any bars. I guess some (or even many) people have a different view from yours.

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

Yeah, I listened to the Verizon fanboys like you and switched to Verizon when the iPhone 4s came out. In VA's largest city (where both carriers provide 3+ bars pretty much everywhere), Verizon 3G that will RARELY "burst" faster than 1mbps down, whereas my friends on AT&T 3G are regularly getting 5mpbs down, with faster bursts. I hate downloading stuff from the App/iTunes store over Verizon 3G. I hate how long it takes for Facebook/Flipboard,CNN, or any app that does a data refresh to start up (compared to my friends on AT&T).

So for the next year or two where we all fall back to 3G speeds when LTE's not available, screw Verizon's amazingly crappy 3G speeds (that drop down to the slower-than-dial-up o icon when a tower is busy). I'm paying the ETF and porting back to AT&T as soon as the next iPhone comes out.

14. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just because you can't envision it does not mean verizon will not make it happen. They are ahead of schedule so I can't envision it taking until the end of 2013.

15. Larrupin macrumors member

Larrupin

Same here....if it weren't for the unlimited plan, I'd have my first Verizon iPad on Friday.

16. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

Is the iPad unlimited data plans also included in the throttling like the smartphone plans?

And if so, I don't see how having an "unlimited" plan is keeping people from switching elsewhere, as it really is just 3GB of usable data.

17. Kauai macrumors 6502a

Nope, there isn't any throttling on the iPad plans (confirmed by AT&T) due to the way in which the contract was written. Perhaps it will come, but right now there isn't.

18. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I have LTE here in DFW and it is crazy fast so I can't complain :p

19. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Seeing as how AT&T is headquartered in the Metroplex, this is not surprising.

20. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

I'm hoping they start doing shared data plans so we can share our data with our iPhones and iPads and not have to pay for separate plans...

21. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Just really depends on each individual's use. I've been on AT&T since the initial iPhone and iPad models and personally have had a great experience--but then again generally I don't travel except for vacation and each of those markets has great AT&T 3G coverage with speeds that also generally outperform Verizon. I preordered the iPad 3 for AT&T not even realizing that they had rolled out LTE service in my area last month--never even considered Verizon. Not an AT&T fanboy, just nothing to complain about regarding there service here in Tampa and now, can't wait to test out the new LTE coverage.

And, having unlimited data on my iPad probably had an impact on my decision as well. :D

22. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Not an option until last year.

23. donnaw macrumors 65816

???

I don't understand. I've taken my phones overseas for several years and switched the sims (we don't have iPhones). If you are referring to the iPad then you're correct.

24. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Thought you were referring to the iPhone. Because with the iPhone 4s Verizon and Sprint had an iPhone but still a world phone.

But I until the iPhone I had a Blackberry World Phone on Verizon for a longtime.

25. donnaw macrumors 65816

No, I was replying to the post about why so many are 'AT&T fanboys'. I've never had an iPhone and probably never will. I started out with a Windows phone in 2004 I think. Was actually a flash junkie for many years. Now we all have Wp7 phones and love them. When my husband was in the market for a new phone last year I begged him to get an iPhone, same for my daughter-in-law. Mostly because I was tired of being the tech phone support for the family. But they both chose the Focus. Luckily, they haven't needed me to help. Which surprised me a bit since neither seems to understand anything technical (even my husband who has 3 engineering degrees seems lost when it comes to IT work). Of course that might just be a hedge on his part to get out of doing the actual work of updating etc.

I love my iPad but having that OS on a phone doesn't meet my personal needs.