Good News / Bad News

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rekud300, Dec 5, 2010.

1. rekud300 macrumors member

rekud300

Well my Birthday is December 23rd and wife had no clue what to get me for that and Christmas. I told her an Ipad could take care of both. She wasn't sure which one to buy and I had to pick it out.

Good news = we went and bought one. 16+3g. Not planning on putting a ton of movies on there, and 3g comes in handy when traveling and the hotels want to charge $9.99 a night for their Wifi. Yes, some of the business hotels do charge for Wifi and I can't always pick and choose where to stay.

Bad news = can't play with it until Dec. 19th when we celebrate my birthday with the kids and I am aloud to open it and play with it.

In the meanwhile, reading through these forums about all the apps people have been suggesting. As well as debating whether to update the IOS due to some issues people are saying about the slowness of the Wifi. Anyway, excited and looking forward it.

2. Higgs1 macrumors 6502

Higgs1

personally I would update to 4.2 as the "multitasking" it provides does help alot when switching between apps quickly & adds a lot of convenience. And I'd personally re-evaluate the 16gb vs 32gb for an extra $100 to double the space the 32 may be the way you really wanna go. I understand about not alot of movies on it, but once you start downloading some apps and music you're going to fill up pretty fast

if you don't have a problem deleting apps or picking & choosing which media you want on the device at one time then by all means stick with your 16gb, just trying to offer helpful advice

so in conclusion update to 4.2, the pros far outweigh the cons at this point and most of the cons should be fixed up in due time

3. Zcott macrumors 68020

If ten people had slow wifi trouble they'll post about it here.

If ten million people don't have slow wifi they won't post about it here.

Just some perspective.

4. rekud300 thread starter macrumors member

rekud300

thanks for the input

Higgs1 - You make some good points, will review and consider taking back and getting the 32g.

3lionsbecks - hopefully if I do want to switch, Apple will let be be ALLOWED to do it.

Zcott - heard that in other forums and posts as well. In general - Complaints/Cons always outweigh the Positives/Pros.

5. jdcell100 macrumors regular

Update it it's great you'll luv it I have 16g with 3G and unlimited plan

6. jdcell100 macrumors regular

16 g is fine if you don't keep lot of movies after I'm done watching I just delete

7. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

16g is plenty, my first was 32g which was more than I needed.

8. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Congrats, some point from me:

Definitely update the os, it brings performance increases by better managing the memory.

I have the 16gb and find it's plenty. I have some songs, some videos and. Ton of apps and I'm not even at 8th full yet.

Wheel you are waiting to use it I would look up some websites that have a 'best app' list to get s feel for the good apps. Have a flick through iTunes and see what takes your interest in each of the categories, that when present day comes you can jump straight and have you apps ready to go and use.

9. dunk50 macrumors member

Just a thought, if you open it and then want to return it they really want a 10% restocking fee. If it's not open your ok. I would ask.

10. Built macrumors 68020

Updated to iOS 4 on Friday. NO wifi issues...or any other issues of any kind.

Love the new wallpaper (just like my iPhone) and love the folders (again just like my iPhone).

Do it.

11. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

I was also sceptical about the update from 3.x.x for the reason of wifi.

I held off but finally had to update because there were a few apps I wanted that were only 4.2 compatible.

Wifi - My wife uses my ipad at our place for surfing via our airport extreme basestation (the latest one whatever it's called) and she thinks it's faster. I tend to agree with her. I also use it with a pocket wifi device and it works better now than it did before.

12. andrewsd macrumors 6502

Upgrade

Definatly upgrade. I know of no problems from my friends who updated and plus the
    Multitasking alone is worth it. You're better off updating I'd say. Plus airplay is neat.