Good news for FM transmitter users

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HawaiiMacAddict, Aug 7, 2011.

1. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

I have good news for those, like me, that have to use an FM transmitter to hear iPhone/iPod touch audio while in your car over your car's speakers. Up until iOS 5 beta 2 everything worked as expected, but with iOS 5 beta 3, I consistently got an error message stating "This accessory is not supported by iPhone."

My first thought was that this "bug" would be fixed in the next beta, but it was the same in iOS 5 beta 4. I also filed a bug report to Apple on this issue, hoping to at least get some sort of explanation as to why this functionality had been removed. I never received an answer from Apple, so I felt resigned to replace my FM transmitter. As such, I began looking into alternatives to using my FM transmitter, the cheapest of which would set me back at least $300.

Imagine my surprise yesterday, after having upgraded to iOS 5 beta 5, to find that I can once again use my FM transmitter to broadcast my iPhone audio over my RX350's speakers! It's not that I don't have the money to buy the VAIStech box SL2i-UP (or better, the SL2i-C), but I wanted to continue using what I currently have.

That being said, I still don't see the microphone thing in iMessage .....

2. shandyman Suspended

that microphone thing is not exclusive to iMessage, it's on the universal keyboard which is system wide. We don't see it in the beta as it's on a hidden keyboard called dvorak.