Good news for refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DougBookPro, Apr 9, 2012.

1. DougBookPro, Apr 9, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012

DougBookPro macrumors newbie

Been waiting with the rest you (patiently) for the refresh.

I just bumped into this posted by Intel a few hours ago...

http://newsroom.intel.com/community...04/09/chip-shot-intel-7-series-chipset-debuts

"The new Intel® 7-series Chipset family is now available and shipping in mobile and desktop OEM systems and motherboards worldwide. These new chipsets provide the companion logic to the 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ processors today and will support the 3rd Generation Intel Core processor family (codenamed Ivy Bridge) later in Q2. They also integrate USB 3.0 and enable responsiveness technologies like Intel® Smart Response, Intel® Smart Connect, and Intel® Rapid Start in desktop and mobile platforms. Intel is also introducing several desktop motherboards that feature the new Intel 7-series Express Chipset."

C'mon refresh! This money burning a hole in my pocket isn't gonna spend itself!:D

2. Acidsplat macrumors regular

The Ivy Bridge CPUs themselves haven't been released yet. This is only the new chipset for the processors when they come later in Q2. It says so in the article.

3. DougBookPro thread starter macrumors newbie

I stand corrected.

I read 7-series chipsets and was thinking core i7.:rolleyes:

I'll take any progress at this point! :D

4. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

The good news is that Intel is shipping Ivy Bridge chipsets with USB 3 connectors.

5. Aragorn234 macrumors member

The Chipset is at least a start.
    Now we wait for the processor release.
    Due to the delay in production do you think that the Intel Ivy Bridge might have a short life span. Meaning the next iteration next year might come in Feb or March. Meaning the Ivy Bridge will be less than a Year before it is superseded??

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, its indeed nice to see things are starting to fall in place, but it only means that I'll be getting more anxious ;)

7. KohPhiPhi macrumors 6502a

Man... this is going to take at least another 2 months until the 2012 models hit the shelves :( I think we're looking into June or so guys.

8. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Im not sure what your intention with that link is? Are you telling him he should stick to that thread, or are you tipping him about another thread where alot of speculation are being made?
    If its the first, I disagree, this is a nice bit of news that would have drowned in that other thread and this way I believe more people will see it. This is not necessarily part of the macbook pro redesign, but rather an insight as to where things are headed on Intels side, and how that may affect Apple's release. I understand that theres a frustrating amount of new "when is it coming and what specs will it have thread" but please read through and think about whether this bit of info deserves a thread of its own or not before directly, or indirectly telling them to stop making threads about "the same thing"

As you understand this is not directed at only you. Its just sad that there is such a negative attitude on alot of forums, some people deserve a bit of critiscism but alot more are receiving than there is deserving people, it feels like.

And finally, if this thread indeed shouldnt have been, dont you think the poster above you, who is in fact a moderator, could have seen to that, without your "helpful" link.

And now back on topic. Too bad it was only the chipset... Im still keeping my fingers crossed and Im obliviously hoping for an April launch, until proven otherwise, which means that we enter May without a release. :D

9. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yes it does belong in the other thread, why is his post any more thread worthy than the other 55 pages worth of thoughts and opinions?

10. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Because his post reports about news that isnt just about the macbook redesign speculation?

11. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

the OP himself as alredy said he misread that info on the link thinking it was about the processor when in fact its about the chipset.

it still looks like Q2 for the processors nothing new from this article that hasnt been discussed already.

I get some people dont like an organized forum but I happen to like it, there are people posting legit questions about MBPs that actually exisit, being "buried" under what could be pages and pages of 2012 threads.

either you merge all threads like this under 2012 Speculation or you dont merge any, i just dont see why you merge some like there thread doesnt deserve its own thread and you let some go

12. Ohrstrom macrumors 6502

Ohrstrom

Well I disagree, wether its about the chipset or the actual cpu its still _news_ that things are happening. And saying that every little news about macbooks future should be in one thread, is just like me telling you that all those buried questions about macbooks should be in one thread, or that all whos macbooks are getting errors should be in one thread.