Good News for White MacBook Users On/Off Warranty!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NiroshanMan, Dec 4, 2008.

1. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

I called Apple Care today to ask if they would cover a problem (I consider a defect) in which the palm rest is chipping, i bet many of you have had this problem. I've replaced it once right before my warranty ended in June of 2007. I bought the first MacBook in June of 2006 and so obviously the warranty is gone and i did not buy further apple care. However THERE IS HOPE! They were really nice about it and the woman told me they would replace the cover for free even though i was off the warranty! I also later called them telling them to check my screen cause i had small little scratches/dents from the contact of my keyboard hitting the screen and they said they will make sure the technicians look at it when they fix it (even off the warranty!). Either way if they fix my screen or not they are replacing my palm rest for free! I am very happy and LOVE APPLE! No problems at all! My box to ship it in is coming in the next few days!

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Well thats good news, you're not the first to have it repaired off warranty though:p
    I'll be glad that I can get mine repaired when the cracks appear.

3. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

another good thing is that when my brother called apple care to get his macbook fixed because he has a really bad chipping problem they said they would fix it whenever he had the problem, so its a defect then? but im so happy!

4. Red Sox macrumors regular

I had mine replaced under warranty, and when I asked if my buddy's out-of-warranty macbook could be repaired for free, they said yes.

I also have little scratches all over my screen from the keyboard. Please let us know what they say about replacing it for free.

5. NiroshanMan thread starter macrumors 6502

Will do! When they replaced your palm rest did they do anything else to your computer? Did they reinstall OSX on your HD or anything? Cause the last time i sent mine in for discoloration on the palmrest they gave me a new hard drive cause they said something was wrong with it (though i never had problems) and i got away with an extra 512mb of memory somehow.

Also do they replace just the palm rest of the keyboard as well?

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

No, they replace the entire topcase: keyboard, trackpad, button, enclosure, et al.