Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sjf73

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
I posted last week reporting problems with black chipping from the edges of my black iPhone 5 plus screen sensitivity issues amongst other things.
I also mentioned I was a little disappointed with the overall feel and the apparent lack of quality and robustness in the phone compared the feeling I got from my 4 and 4S.

Vodafone exchanged my black 5 for a white and having lived with it for a while I thought I'd come back and update.

With a preference for the understated rather than the showy, I really didn't like the idea of a white phone, but I have to say from the moment the white came out of the box I preferred it to my previous black.

The un-anodised band on the white gives the phone I much better look in my opinion as does the plain aluminium back.

More importantly, the white replacement phone bears NONE of the faults and niggles of the black 5 that I had.

The screen is instantly responsive, there's obviously nothing to chip and you can't hear the buttons rattling around inside the casing!

Strangely this new white phone feels totally different in my hand than the black one.
I can't put my finger on it, but there's something that just makes it feel stronger, more robust, up to taking a few knocks and usage and just feels much closer to the quality I expect from the Apple Mac brand.

It would appear from my own experience that some phones were perhaps just poorly put together by a few Foxconn employees rather than their being some overall issue with Apple product as a whole.

I have to say that out of everything I own my Apple tech is the most reliable so I was a little surprised at how poor the first black 5 I had was.

The white one I now have has restored my faith.

So, if you have an iPhone 5 with manufacturing issues, from my own experience I'd say don't be shy or despondent, take it back and exchange it, preferably for a white one that has no anodisation to chip off in the first place!

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
Awesome because we all know quality issues are only applicable to black models....there are NO issues at all with white phones...

Seriously though are people dumb enough to think that QC issues are now based on device color? *facepalm*

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
You got lucky, I've gone through 3 white Iphone 5's and they all have had knicks and scuffs out of the box

d123

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2009
Earth
Seriously though are people dumb enough to think that QC issues are now based on device color? *facepalm*

It might not be that dumb, while QC problems can affect an entire factory, it's more likely to be a major problem on a single production line, and different colour = different line.

If the problem relates to any coloured part (volume buttons, mute slider, camera assembly) then the problem will affect the one colour as opposed to both.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
The power of the mind is an amazing thing.

yeah haha, that is what I was trying to get at. What would be a definition for that? Where you are trying to justify a purchase or decision and make your self think it is one thing it is not.

Sjf73

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
(Good grief)....What I am saying is that the phone I have now feels better in the hand than the phone it replaced.
In other words the new phone feels like it has been better put together than the old one.

TheDLade

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2012
Mods should start closing threads like this because it's pointless and make no sense whatsoever

As if a different colour of the same phone means that it has a better quality :,) (I'm dying) No wonder racism still exists......disgusting

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
(Good grief)....What I am saying is that the phone I have now feels better in the hand than the phone it replaced.
In other words the new phone feels like it has been better put together than the old one.

haha the way it was read (myself included) was that the white phone is built somehow differently and feels totally different. What you really meant was that the first phone was definitely jacked!

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Strangely this new white phone feels totally different in my hand than the black one.
I can't put my finger on it, but there's something that just makes it feel stronger, more robust, up to taking a few knocks and usage and just feels much closer to the quality I expect from the Apple Mac brand.

Clearly, the only difference between the two is the color. And with the chipping as you state, your mind told you it was a deficient phone. With the white phone, no chipping. Thus your MIND automatically made you feel like there was a difference in quality. You imagined a faster response because your mind already told you this was a better phone.

Its an illusion. AKA Just a trick of lights on your mind.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
you sir, are experiencing something similar to a placebo.

Not necessarily... he could have gotten a lemon of a black but a perfect white model. My black iPhone 5 has none of the issues as everyone else thus far. There is a very slight manufacturer "defect" on mine by the corners where the antenna seams are at (those 4 darker black lines that are about 1/4 inch deep on the sides of the phone from the corners) One of them has what looks like scuffing. But otherwise it looks fine. I'm not going to bother because my phone works great otherwise.

My White iPhone 4S was buggy from the start. Camera app locked up the phone; etc.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
I thought stores are not allowing you to switch the color of your phone? OP said Vodafone exchanged it, so I take it the carrier allowed him/her to?

I know the Apple store if you ask to have a different color iPhone they wouldn't allow you to swap colors like that

Sjf73

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2012
Not necessarily... he could have gotten a lemon of a black but a perfect white model. My black iPhone 5 has none of the issues as everyone else thus far. There is a very slight manufacturer "defect" on mine by the corners where the antenna seams are at (those 4 darker black lines that are about 1/4 inch deep on the sides of the phone from the corners) One of them has what looks like scuffing. But otherwise it looks fine. I'm not going to bother because my phone works great otherwise.

My White iPhone 4S was buggy from the start. Camera app locked up the phone; etc.

Hurrah! Common sense prevails at last. That is precisely what I said and meant, and then translated for the hard-of-thinking.

----------

I thought stores are not allowing you to switch the color of your phone? OP said Vodafone exchanged it, so I take it the carrier allowed him/her to?

I know the Apple store if you ask to have a different color iPhone they wouldn't allow you to swap colors like that

It was a little complicated. The store cancelled the "provision" on my contract and then reissued it as a white phone.
If they hadn't done that it would have been like for like.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
I just put a black one side by side with a white one and the black one was just a tad bit bigger.

just sayin...

krnboy503

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008

it really depends on the store manager/supervisor.

if you have gone through 6 black replacements (my mom), then the genius will talk to the supervisor and give her a brand new iPhone 5 that's white.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.