Good news! Mac Mini soon.. ;D

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Ursadorable, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Ursadorable macrumors 6502

Ursadorable

So I gave up waiting and ordered a Mac Mini yesterday.

Apple is sure to release a new one next week for sure.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

For all we know, the update could be released with soldered 5400RPM drives. So it might have been the right decision.

I would have been more tempted to buy a used 2012 model though. May I ask which model you got and how much it set you back?

3. jpietrzak8 macrumors 6502a

jpietrzak8

Take heart! The last time folks ordered a Mini right before Apple released an update to the line, the version they ordered immediately became more valuable! :p

4. 2ilent8cho macrumors 6502

I ordered one yesterday, should be with me on the 22nd. :)

Configuration
    • 2.6GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz)
    • 8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
    • 256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

5. Kaida macrumors regular

Kaida

why are people buying the dreadful 2014, i rather repair than replace my 2012s...

6. Ursadorable thread starter macrumors 6502

Ursadorable

I ordered the 2.8 i5 dual core, 8GB RAM, 1TB Fusion. $1199 Canuck Bucks.

I'm only going to be using it for a music server to feed a outboard DAC for my stereo. I could have got away with less, but I figured I'd futureproof it as much as I could ahead of time. I also ordered the 3 year Applecare.

7. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

I wouldn't have guessed. What, with your signature full of older Mac Minis, profile picture crammed with older Mac Minis, and the same comment from you every single time there's a Mac Mini thread. ;)

8. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

The new Mini will be here a day sooner than yesterday. Good things come to those who wait. For everybody else, there's a 2014 Mini ;-)

9. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

That statement right there is proof positive that Moore's Law is toast. I can't imagine anyone having suggested the purchase of a 4 year old computer before 2010 or so.

10. jpietrzak8 macrumors 6502a

jpietrzak8

Nah, Moore's law is still in effect, at least a little while longer. CPUs are still getting faster, GPUs are still getting stronger. There are now PCs that can do a fairly decent job at providing a virtual reality environment at a price normal human beings can afford. And the Skull Canyon shows that SFFs are reaching the point where they can (almost) entirely replace standard minitower PCs.

No, the only reason why people are advocating buying 4 year old Apple computers, is that Apple's best computers came out four years ago. The one and only Mac Mini update Apple has seen fit to produce in all the years since then was not, strictly speaking, an "upgrade"; the 2014 machines would have to be faster than the 2012 machines for that to be the case.

It is not technology that has held back Apple's computers. It is simply their marketing decisions.

11. Kaida macrumors regular

Kaida

Hey I thought you are on my side too! Anyway, I just feel that the less 2014s we buy, the higher chance Apple goes back to giving us the ram and hdd/ssd upgrade again...

I wouldn't mind soldered rams and ultrabook processors really, that is if the Mac mini is made into a smaller size... If the current size allow for it, getting those are like a step backwards..

12. jpietrzak8, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016

jpietrzak8 macrumors 6502a

jpietrzak8

Oh sure! I've been alive long enough to hear Moore's law declared dead at least three or four times, only to have some new breakthrough keep it alive just a little longer; but, maybe it's true this time. :)

Of course, I think the real question here is, why are Macs stagnating while the rest of the PC world moves on? Moore's law may be slowing down right now, but that doesn't explain why Macs have come to a sudden, lurching stop, when other PCs continue to get more powerful and less expensive.

13. Appleaker macrumors 68000

Yeah I would agree to opt for the quad-core i7 2012 model and upgrade it over the 2014. Moore's Law itself, although probably possible if more dedication was focused towards it, is technically dead although the process behind Moore's Law will continue at a slower pace.

Back on topic, I actually think they might bring an upgrade to the mini this year although it could be next year if they want to wait for Kaby Lake for a more significant upgrade.

14. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

STOP GIVING THEM IDEAS!!!!

15. now i see it macrumors 65816

The thing about the mini and ALL the Macs is that they have to move upwards together... Like a giant caterpillar.

The MacPro has to be the fastest
    Then the iMac a bit farther down
    Then the MBP
    etc, etc, etc.
    The MacMini is at the very bottom of the heap and always will be. That's it's place. That's where it belongs.

So until the Mac Pro & iMac & all the rest get updated... The Mini ain't going nowhere in the performance dept.

It's a depressing computer to own if you're an enthusiast. (I own one).

16. Denmac1 macrumors 6502a

Denmac1

I saw this happening two years ago. I decided to bite the bullet and purchased a new (?) 2012 Mac Mini Quad Core. Maxed out the memory (not Apple), as I saw the solder gun coming. It seems like it will be sufficient for Sierra and perhaps one more beyond. Probably before I upgrade to Sierra, I will add an SSD. Hopefully , then, this will suffice for another two or three years. I think during that time, we will discover what's really going to happen to Tim & Co. and what the Board may decide why Apple is not keeping up with the industry. Skylakes have been out long enough. I had even been hoping to buy a MacBook Pro, but am waiting to see what happens in October. May just buy a refurb, if that model is now crippled.

However, I like the OP's thought process...

17. grcar, Jul 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2016

grcar Suspended

grcar

I thank you most sincerely for volunteering to be screwed by Apple so the rest us can be disappointed at our earliest convenience by whatever crippled, pathetic system Apple will attempt to pass off as a refreshed mac mini !

18. Ursadorable thread starter macrumors 6502

Ursadorable

So I received my Mini from Apple yesterday, got it all setup and it's pretty fast.. more than I need for a music server. But I noticed something odd.

I read that Apple only includes 28GB of SSD for the 1TB fusion drive.. yet my system profiler says it's 128GB.

What's up with that?

upload_2016-7-19_21-38-45.png

19. EnesM macrumors 6502

EnesM

That's for new models (new iMacs, etc.) Old ones still have 128GB as far as I know.

20. Cape Dave macrumors 65816

Welcome to the great Apple SSD Ripoff. They really suck.

21. EightyTwenty macrumors 6502

That would actually be hilarious. It's not that far fetched either, considering the 2014 models might as well have soldered hard drives. Technically it is possible, but you have to LITERALLY disassemble and reassemble the entire machine and have parts scattered all over your room to replace the HDD.

The ones I see online are going for 1.5x to 2x original retain price... FOR A 4 YEAR OLD USED COMPUTER. Forget that.

22. Merode macrumors 6502

Merode

This stiuation is really bad. I would like to get Mac Mini as well and choices I have:

used 2012 model:
    - faster CPU
    - slower GPU
    - upgradable HDD and RAM
    - cheaper

new 2014 model:
    - slower CPU
    - faster GPU
    - HDD and RAM are not upgradable
    - more expensive

The 2012 model has more advantages but 2014 model has significantly stronger GPU and will be supported by Apple longer. There's no clear winner and this is the issue. I'll wait for 2016 model and probably will be disappointed again.

23. jpietrzak8 macrumors 6502a

jpietrzak8

Actually, given that the 2014 model's GPU is not all that much better than the 2012 model, and that really nothing else has improved hardware-wise over 2012, I suspect that the 2012 and 2014 models will be marked as "vintage" and "obsolete" at pretty much the same time.

Even if Apple decided to drop support for the 2012 just as soon as they are able, I don't see why a macOS that supports the 2014 model couldn't be hacked to run just as well on the 2012 model. (Better, really, on a quad-core 2012.)