Good news/RSS apps with offline caching?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by powpow, Mar 17, 2011.

1. powpow macrumors member

Mar 19, 2004
    I like apps like The Daily, Flipboard and Reeder, but none of them have full offline caching for my train ride. Byline is my iPhone ace but I don't see it in the app store now.

Any recommendations?

2. outphase macrumors 65816

Jun 13, 2009
    Parts Unknown
    What is "full" offline caching for you? Reeder for iPhone appears to cache fine. Does the iPad version not?
  3. powpow thread starter macrumors member

Mar 19, 2004
    I mean the full web page, not just the RSS snippet (Byline does this).

It takes longer, but I do it in the morning before my commute and it's nice to have full page access without a connection.
  4. alan111 macrumors regular

Sep 17, 2010

Exactly what I'm looking for.
    A good RSS reader with offline caching for my subway ride here in NYC.
  5. PadJunkie macrumors member

Mar 12, 2011
    Read it Later is great

Read it Later is very nice for this, especially in combination with Reeder, which lets you assign a "send to Read it Later" gesture.

Read it Later is not a passive newspaper that preloads everything in the world to your iPad; it's a to-read list manager that preloads the items you've put on your to-read list. You must first go through your RSS reader and pick out the items you'll eventually want to read.
  6. powpow thread starter macrumors member

Mar 19, 2004
    Byline is the answer and apparently it will be back up in the app store in a day or two. On Twitter they said they had to take it down to fix a bug. Assuming it works as well on the iPad as it does on the iPhone, it will be awesome.

I am curious if there are other Flipboard like apps that support offline caching.
  7. jbg232 macrumors 65816

Oct 15, 2007
    Mobile rss pro hd is awesome - it basically stole reeders ui and improved it. You can download full posts as well.