Good OCR text software compatible with 10.8?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Iphone4sinwhite, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Iphone4sinwhite macrumors 6502

I recently purchased a Brother ADS 2000 document scanner. The scanner works will but the Presto PageManager 9 software for Mac is terrible. It routinely freezes, spits out garbage, doesn't save documents, or combine scans properly.

What is a good application that will work with this scanner and will allow me to perform OCR text recognition on 50 page scanned documents?

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Abby Finereader and Adobe Acrobat XI are both really good.

/Jim

3. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, both of those titles have a much higher feature set than I'm looking for. Does pdfscanner perform OCR recognition at a similar accuracy level?

4. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Try vuescan:

http://www.hamrick.com/ocr.html

Great software (I've used it for years, starting with the PC version) and they have a free trial

5. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

Have you used the ABBYY FineReader Express Edition for Mac or the Windows version?

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Mac version. It ships free with Fujitsu Scansnap S1500M that I bought.

I've also use VueScan... it saved my butt for my negative scanner. It is a fantastic company. I didn't know it had OCR capability... nor have I used OCR using VueScan.

/Jim

7. admwright macrumors regular

Is this not built in with the OS? You used to be able to scan to pdf and this would do the OCR of the fly giving you a text PDF rather than an image pdf.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is just a scanned image saved as a PDF, but no OCR is performed. You will need to buy an aftermarket app for OCR.

9. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

I have.....

heard more good things about AbbyReader than about Wondershare, in good conscience....

:):apple:

10. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

Abbyy Reader works great!

I'm scanning a lot of engineering documents. Is there anyway I can type Greek letters into the search bar and find them in documents that I have scanned with Abby Reader?

11. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I am on the road now, and cannot easily check for you. I am not sure if it is Abbyy, Acrobat, DevonThink, or my ScanSnap S100M... but someplace I saw a menu option of which languages to support. I only selected english... so I cannot comment on effectiveness.

/Jim

12. Iphone4sinwhite thread starter macrumors 6502

Figured it out.

Abbyy FineReader can scan english and greek. I can then copy a particular greek letter from wikipedia.

I'm a recent Mac convert; I haven't found an equivalent to character map yet.

13. MathRulz macrumors regular

Go to System Preferences in the Apple menu in the upper left corner. Open "Language & Text"

Go to "Input Sources" tab and check "Keyboard & Character Viewer." This will put the small flag (shown just to the left of the words Keyboard & Character Viewer) into the menus on the upper right of your computer. (The area with the time/date, spotlight, volume control, wi-fi and bluetooth symbols, etc.)

14. ReneR macrumors 6502

OCRKit anyone? Made for Mac, fast, simple, inexpensive, ...

15. Carloo macrumors newbie

Hi, in my job (I am working at a book with many Latin and Old Greek texts) I have similar needs to the quoted sentence, ie I have to handle many multilingual texts and quote them into my book. A good Ocr would safe my time. Please do figure that most of the time I am allowed just to take a picture with my camera or my iphone in the public library. For my needs is Ocr of Abby really good and better than Readiris?

16. LifeNewsIdeas macrumors newbie

ExactScan

I now use ExactScan Pro with my Brother scanner, it does OCR fast into perfect PDFs...