Good or bad buy?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by madneo, Mar 12, 2011.

1. madneo macrumors newbie

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I wouldn't buy a used second gen. They are running out of time as far as being updated goes, and in fact, I don't think they even got the most recent update. I would save up for at least a 3rd gen or maybe a used 8GB 4th gen.

3. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The 1st and 2nd gens didn't get the 4.3 update. I don't have a 3rd gen, but for just the Home Sharing feature in 4.3 on my 4th gen it was a worthwhile update. I posted a short bit about it on my blog. The other thing about a used 2nd gen is that it will be 2 years old and the battery may not be perfoming like new anymore.

4. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

Yeah I wouldn't recommend a 2nd gen. Save up for a 3rd gen so that you get 4.3

5. nukem170 macrumors member

My gf has a second gen. I DON'T RECOMEND ANYONE BUYING IT. Here is why.

1. It's out dated. In a sence that it won't get any more updates or bug fixes.
    2. A lot of new apps won't work properly.
    - She has hel of a time playing a lot of recent games. They keep crashing to a point that some are almost unplayable.
    - Almost all vo-ip apps crash constantly (viber, talkatone, skype, all the same). Tango won't even download.
    The reason for this is that it's outdated so that the developers won't take time to test the apps on it. Lot of new apps need more ram than it has so they crash.
    3. No multitasking.
    4. No background wallpaper (I really don't care about this but she is annoyed of it. Lol).

My advice is to get a 4th gen. 3rd gen is ok. But it won't be long b4 u get disappointed bc it's the next one to go. 2nd gen is considered history now. But if I were u I would wait till the 5th gen is released (hopefully in few months) and buy the 4th gen used at that time. Bc a lot of the pple would be upgrading and selling their old 4th gen devices for cheaper.

6. nukem170 macrumors member

Battery isn't a huge deal. After like a year or so of heavy use the battery would be pretty bad anyways. U can buy a new one for like 15-20$ (includes all the tools u need tonget the job done) if ur willing to change it yourself. There's plenty of tutorials if u google and instruction videos on YouTube.

7. davis123 macrumors newbie

In fact i am using a second hand ipod. and it seems to be good and also working with a good condition.

8. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I wouldn't recommend a 2nd generation iPod Touch. I own an iPod Touch 2G but it's out dated now and they no longer support it with the iOS updates. It kinda sucks. But I would recommend saving your money and purchasing one of the newer models when you do save up enough. You will enjoy it much more.

9. Synthion macrumors regular

This.

I won an iPod touch in a contest last November, (after the release of 4g), and it was a 2g. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy just to have an iPod Touch, (can't afford one), but You are way better off with at least a 3g.

10. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

I'll agree with everyone else out there, but let me add a few things - the 2nd generation iPod touch is a pretty good product, reliability-wise. I had one and know quite a few people who had them and it seemed to work really well (then again, it's pretty simple compared to some products). If you can live with not running the latest software and having the same processor as the original iPhone and the iPhone 3G (which are considered outdated), you probably should just skip the third-generation iPod touch and get the newest model.

If you just want something that can play music, check out a few web sites, read emails, and play an occasional game, the 2nd generation iPod touch will be fine. If you want something that will be up-to-date software-wise and have a bit more refinement, I'd say save your money and go for a new or refurbished 4th generation iPod touch (A4 processor, Retina Display).

It even seems that you can get a refurb for about $100 more than what you wanted to spend: http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC540C/A?mco=MjEzOTMxNjE