Good or bad idea: Trading in 15" MPB for Mini-Mac and iPad

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BogeyPro, Jul 7, 2010.

1. BogeyPro macrumors newbie

Hello, everyone!

First time posting here on the forumns. I'm a "late adapter" of Apple Products and I love them. I have a 15" MBP unibody, 4GB RAM, purchased January 2009. I have the Time Capsule which I am backing up religously. I have the 23" Cinema Display, which I now connect to the MPB. I also just got the iPhone 4, which I just love.

I'm a big user of iMovie, iPhoto, and MobileMe. The 23" display comes in very handy for that. However, I want some more horsepower and I see that the new Mini-Mac you can shove up to 8GB of ram in there. There is also more HD space, and the processor appears to be faster too. Plus, the footprint on the old physical desktop is very small indeed.

As for casual e-mail, browsing, movie watching, etc. around the house, there would be the iPad. So instead of disconnecting the MPB, lugging that around, the slim iPad would take care of that. I don't plan on any travel with that, that's what the iPhone is for.

So my plan is that I would go out and get the Mini-Mac and iPad, bring it all home, restore files from the Time Capsule. Then I would sell the MBP on Craigs List for perhaps us$1200-us$1500 to cover most of the cost.

Does anybody see what I might be giving up, or what I might be gaining, by going through with this crazy plan?

2. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I dont see a problem with it.. go with your heart on this one

3. iMacThere4Iam macrumors regular

If you're not planning on doing any of the more complex computing tasks away from home, then it sounds perfectly reasonable.

You've still got the big display, and the ultra mobility of the iPad. Enjoy.

4. Jayomat macrumors 6502a

Jayomat

this.

but: if you enjoy one of the, more than plenty offered, "flash"-fun (may it be online videos, flash games or other flash related stuff, e.g. there is a wide range of websites which are based on flash... [...]) then you might be losing some of your "freedom" on the road.

other than that, go for it :)

5. KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

Hello.
    Welcome to the Forum!

Sounds like a good idea to me. I don't use my laptop since getting the iPad.

But why not try it in stages?

First, get the iPad.
    Use it a bunch and keep the MBP for awhile.

Once you're sure the iPad will take care of your mobile needs, get the Mini and sell the MBP.

If you decide you don't like the iPad, selling it won't be a problem and you'll still have your MBP.

Have Fun,
    Keri

6. drossad macrumors regular

Not to be a jerk - just trying to help you out... It's called a Mac Mini, not a Mini-Mac.

Welcome to the forum!

7. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

im not sure you'd be able to get that much for an 09 mbp would you?