Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Demonface, May 20, 2012.

1. Demonface macrumors 6502a

Ok , I have updated my 4S to 5.1.1 and this is the battery life I have gotten thus far. I would like to know if this is good or bad? Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Judge for yourself.
    What were you doing with it?

[​IMG]

3. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

That's pretty bad. So I notice that you have 2 bars of signal is that as good as it gets? Probably Sprint is your problem… I always do a "Reset Network Settings" after a restore and make sure to do it outside.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Nearly 4 hours of use with a day and a half of standby on top? I'd say that's great. He is basically charging every other day at that rate. Standby times on smartphones never seem to come close to manufacturer estimates anyway.

5. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Yay, another battery thread...

As mentioned in practically every other thread regarding battery usage, there's no way to know if you're battery is good or bad based on the Standby and Usage times.

What's your screen brightness set at? Are you using WiFi or 3G? Are you using any location or GPS services? What apps (or types of apps) are you using?

Listening to music (with the screen off) counts as the same Usage time as playing a graphically intensive game with a GPS navigation app running in the background.

6. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

OMG, you must be running something in the background that is eating your battery so badly. Check if any app is running the GPS/location services when activated or in the background.

7. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

Who is to say he didn't listen to the iPod for 4 hours? Nobody knows if that is good or bad but in my opinion that is pretty bad. I could go for a few days of standby with 4 hours of iPod use. :rolleyes:

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Nobody is to say that. I am just saying that, IME, 4 hours of really any use and that long of a standby is pretty good. I do end up getting quite a few texts, emails, etc. too.

It has been my experience that when people are asking about battery life they are usually using the phone for more than just playing music and sitting idle on their desk. But you are right. Based on just the screen shot, we cannot say for certain.

9. nwmtnbiker macrumors 68000

nwmtnbiker

Yea Demonface should have set it up as a poll. Or left us a little more info...

10. Demonface thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nothing is running in the background and basically with those 3 hrs of use i was basically on the internet and or downloading apps ( didnt do it all at once). my brightness is at less than half of the bar. and my phone was just sitting there since i charged it which was just sitting on my desk on.so it didnt really get much use.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

This would increase "usage" too, would it not?

12. Demonface thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess it would but nothing was in the background running.

13. lordofthereef, May 20, 2012
    Last edited: May 20, 2012

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Based on this I would say those stats are fine. You have a day and a half of standby with 3 hours of internet use.

Let's look at Apple's own stats. The 4S gets a standby time of up to 200 hours which means that the 36 hours of standby time you had represents, at bare minimum, 18% of your battery. Again, that is without a single notification coming through, just your phone sitting completely dead idle for the full 36 hour duration. You said you used the internet for cirtually all the of your usage time. If you used the net over 3G, your 3.25 hours of usage would represent 54% of your battery being that the 4S can do up to 6 hours of web brwosing over 3G. If you used Wifi, this same value would translate to 36% of your battery as the 4S can handle up to 9 hours of wifi browsing. Take all of that information and add to it the fact that you were installing apps (obviously some apps are a much longer install then other) and I would say you are about on Par with Apple's own specs.

14. Demonface thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks this has helped me =)

15. labman macrumors 604

labman

you might look at some of the many battery life threads and compare yours to those. games or watching video drain the most battery life.