Good Parental Controls?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by The Stig, Sep 23, 2007.

1. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I'm looking for a good third party parental controls. I need some recommendations. Basically I want to be able to block websites from any web browser. To be able to monitor and change access online from a different computer. Approve or deny websites. Stuff like that. It is an important that it is remote access because I will not have access to the Mac. Also it would be installed on a MB so if it is built for Intel that would be a good thing!

The Stig

2. live4ever macrumors 6502a

My router has most of those options on its webmin page (Netgear DG834G). What brand do you have?

3. flmom2boys macrumors newbie

We use Content Watch, which has recently merged with NetNanny. Although my kid's computers are PCs (I own the only mac in the house right now), I checked at it looks like Net Nanny works on the mac os.

You can set parameters for each child, and can block any site, plus it does a pretty good job of filtering. My kids are teens, and the software is pretty strict in it's filtering, so I have found that some categories like "shopping" and "games" work better with a "warn" pop up rather than me having to keep over-riding a block.

You can set it to email you whenever they encounter a block or warn page. You can also "white-list" or allow websites that your children visit frequently. There are reports you can check anytime online from your computer and it also allows you to monitor their instant message discussions.

It is sometimes inconvenient to have to over-ride a site, or listen to their complaints about not being able to visit a site they want "this minute, " but it is worth it to keep my kids safe :)

4. The Stig thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Stig

It doesn't matter. The computer is a Macbook and it is rarely connected to the same network my MB is connected to. That is why I need a program that can be managed remotely.

TS

5. The Stig thread starter macrumors 6502a

The Stig

Net Nanny does not have a version of Mac.

Anybody know of something with parental controls that can be controlled remotely?

TS