good pdf reading app

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ajwells1, Oct 23, 2009.

1. ajwells1 macrumors newbie

I have a first generation iPod Touch. I have a few pdf books that I would like to be able to load on it to read. Any suggestions?

Why doesn't Adobe have one?

2. hodgeheg macrumors regular

Adobe probably doesn't have one because there is already PDF-reading capability built in to the device so Adobe maybe think there's no money to be made.

However, I am not aware of a reader that supports reflowing, like Adobe's do, which would be far more useful than zooming and panning (however good Apple's gesture interface is).

Also, while it has PDF viewing built in (it will display PDFs in email attachments or linked from websites), it *doesn't* have any way to just drag and drop PDF files to the device built in.

It's a first gen touch, but I don't know whether you are running first gen OS, or whether you've updated it to 2.x or 3.x, or jailbroken. If jailbroken, I know nothing about it. If it's 2.x or 3.x then you can use app store to look for a program that stores files or transfers files.

The one I personally use is a combination of a free app for the ipod called FileAid (see app store) and a paid app for my mac (not very expensive - can't remember) called DiskAid. This basically gives you drag-and-drop over the USB cable, and then you can use fileaid to select and open the PDF files. However, you are still left with no reflow, and it's a it slow if the PDF is scanned images rather than text.

There are completely free of charge options too, but I wanted something that didn't require me to be using wireless to transfer, which requires having the devices on the same network, which is not an option in my particular case.

Edit: I just googled "pdf viewer with reflow for iphone" and apparently there is one now! (Yays quietly)... http://www.goodiware.com/goodreader.html

YMMV - I have no idea how good it is, but I expect I will investigate if I end up needing to read PDFs on my iPod.

Further edit: Just thought - if your PDF books have any DRM, passwords, restrictions etc (as they may if you bought ebooks from certain suppliers) you may be out of luck, unless you find some way to remove those restrictions.

3. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

I use Good Reader - USB or WiFi transfer, reflow, large PDFs, etc., etc. Works well for me.