Good photo-displaying dashboard widget?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by johnnyjibbs, Sep 17, 2005.

1. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Hey, does anyone know a good dashboard widget for simply displaying a picture or photo. I want to see my girlfriend at the touch of the F12 key!

A quick search on the Apple downloads website didn't reveal anything...

Cheers.. :)

2. Camille macrumors regular

3. johnnyjibbs thread starter macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

4. Camille macrumors regular

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There's another one called Photo which you can set to choose from an iPhoto library so you get a different pic of your girlfriend each time.

6. johnnyjibbs thread starter macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

7. steelfist macrumors 6502a

one widget that i use is called "desk photo". it has 3 themes, and it works great for me.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Just make a photo album of all your gf's photos in iPhoto and set your desktop to use photos from that album for the background wallpaper. You can make it pick a photo randomly from that album every 5 minutes so that your desktop photo changes often.

9. johnnyjibbs thread starter macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Thanks for the replies. I am aware of the lovely rotating desktop feature of Mac OS X. I use it already, although I prefer to put landscape shots as my background picture as portraits are too much of a distraction! (And often dark in colour).

10. TJBall macrumors newbie

Widgets not working in OSX 10.8.2 Mountain Lion?

Lovely widgets but I couldn't figure out why they weren't responding to the images I was dropping on them.

If anyone else encounters this problem I found opening the image in the browser first then dragging it from there gets these widgets behaving the way they should.

I also found modernmoments to be the best one!

11. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

A 7 year old thread bought back to life. That must be something of a record. :D

12. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

And now Safari can't help?

Since all the image viewing stopped working in Dashboard a few OSes ago, I've been using Safari to 'Open in Dashboard' screenshots that I wanted to have quick access to, no matter what Desktop I was viewing. Worked great, until I tried to update some today.

In OS 10.10.2 the images are centred in Safari and when I crop them (which still works automatically) and select Open in Dashboard they open up incorrectly cropped, usually only getting a corner if I am lucky!

Any ideas?

----------

Thanks for this solution to getting the widgets working again, if not fixing Safari!

13. frannbug macrumors member

14. Adam Berkey macrumors newbie

I was able to capture my web content from Safari by fitting the window to the content that I wanted displayed only, then dragging the Safari window as far to the left and top of the desktop as possible. Then when I selected with area for the widget, I started at the very top left corner of the screen (above the Apple menu icon) and dragged to about the same distance from the bottom of the content for the widget that the safari window was from the very top of the screen.

There seems to be a bug in the capture window activated in relation to the 0,0 pixel on the desktop assigned as actually 0,0 in the Safari window.

I'm using OS X Mojave (14.2) in Standard (light) mode...

15. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Trying this allowed me to capture the top left corner of my image, but it was absurdly magnified and only showed a tiny portion of the whole image. I'm using ScreenFloat as an alternative now. I wish apple could build that functionality into Dashboard. It's been bugged like this for several versions of MacOS (despite my reports).