Good Photo Printers for Black & White......

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mr.Noisy, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

It's time to start looking for a new printer, For the last few years ive been using a canon ip3000 & Epson Glossy photo paper for photography and it's produced some really nice black and white prints, and a Canon ip1200 for letters, But now if possible I want just the 1 printer primarily for Photography and mainly for Black and white images, but one thats able to print letters when required, most of the prints I do are 8x10 but I may need to think about A3 size too, Usually I outsource the printing of larger images but it's time to do it myself, I just want a few idea's before I explore the market so I know where I am going, Cartridge or bottle feed systems I don't mind which, The only brands ive ever used are Canon and Epson, But i'd consider others, any idea's, experiences & general input greatly received ;)

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

How much do you want to spend? I'm extremely pleased with my Canon Pixma Pro9000, especially using it with some of the really nice Canon art A3 and A3+ papers. I couldn't quite stretch to the 9500. About US$450 upwards online.

Like my camera and scanner, I've never had any problems with Canon gear and Macs.

3. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

If you're looking for a B&W printer, then either the Epson 2880 or the 3800 would suit. I currently use a 3800, due to the fact that it can print up to 17" wides, and the 58ml cartridges, unlike those in the 2880 (or the Canon 9500), which are ~11ml.

4. Mr.Noisy thread starter macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Thanks for the replies guys, Lovesong thanks I have seen a few Epson printers but I think I'm leaning towards a Canon and thanks Blue Velvet I think something like the Canon Pro 9000 or 9500 might be perfect, Nikon & canon working in harmony, But i do like epson glossy paper, Black and white prints pop on it, just one thing, what are the canon Pro 9000/9500's like for printing documents? i do have some stuff like confirmation letters and diagrams that need printing from time to time.

Thank you for the Replies, Guess i'm buying a Canon (only the printer)............Maybe ;)

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Personally, I prefer to use Canon papers, they have some nice glossy ones and I know that ink coverage and colour accuracy will be just right... but I don't know about printing documents, I also have an A4 laser printer just for mono pages.

Like most colour printers it has a plain paper setting and draft/fast settings within print setup, but you may have to do a little Googling around to read some reviews. It doesn't have a deep sliding tray for paper, but a fold-out shelf at its rear.

6. pixproff macrumors newbie

For my B&W prints, I converted an old Epson R200 to use Quadtone inks, an inkset that has 6 different shades of black ink. I get excellent B&W prints that are hard to tell that it was printed on an inkjet printer.