Good place to buy Apple stuff in Vancouver / Toronto?

mistuk

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2004
66
1
Amesbury, UK
So I took the plunge and bought a Macbook Pro from the Apple Refurb store - couldn't wait any longer - got a good deal too. Anyway, I'm off to Canada on a business trip next week and have a few days in Vancouver and a few in Toronto.

Can someone recommend somewhere to have a look at Apple stuff in these cities? I'm interested in a new bag for the macbook pro and also a second skin type case.

I'll be without a car in Vancouver, but will have one in Toronto.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Kev
 

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
3,336
0
Bay Area, CA
For accessories, you can also try Future Shop (futureshop.ca). There are several in the Vancouver area, and they tend to have better prices than Simply or Mac Station on the laptop cases, etc.

Just remember that tax is 14%, so the simple rule is that the price in Canadian dollars is roughly the same as the price in American dollars (since the tax cancels out the exchange rate). So if the Canadian price is more than 10% above the US pre-tax retail price and you don't need to buy it, you might consider waiting for a better price.

Sometimes it makes a big difference, especially on higher-end cases and the more expensive electronic accessories.
 

rmarasa

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2006
39
0
London, UK
Not being a resident of Canada, you can claim some of that tax back when you're set to leave the country. Just pick up the form and brochure at the airport. You need to spend a certain amount at a single store to do this I believe. It's worked for me on purchases. Vancouver rocks, Toronto blows ;-)

http://www.canadiantaxrefund.com/
 

Reimer

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2006
154
1
There are three Apple stores in Toronto

Eaton Centre
220 Yonge Street
Toronto, Ontario M5B 2H1
(647) 258-0801

Sherway Gardens
Space #1801A, 25 The West Mall
Toronto, Ontario M9C 1B8
(416) 646-8489

Yorkdale Mall
3401 Dufferin Street
Toronto, Ontario M6A 3A1
(416) 785-1776
 

tipdrill407

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
373
0
Reimer said:
There are three Apple stores in Toronto

Eaton Centre
220 Yonge Street
Toronto, Ontario M5B 2H1
(647) 258-0801

Sherway Gardens
Space #1801A, 25 The West Mall
Toronto, Ontario M9C 1B8
(416) 646-8489

Yorkdale Mall
3401 Dufferin Street
Toronto, Ontario M6A 3A1
(416) 785-1776
There's one located at sherway gardens now?!?!
 

Cube54

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
129
0
Canada
rmarasa said:
Not being a resident of Canada, you can claim some of that tax back when you're set to leave the country. Just pick up the form and brochure at the airport. You need to spend a certain amount at a single store to do this I believe. It's worked for me on purchases. Vancouver rocks, Toronto blows ;-)

http://www.canadiantaxrefund.com/
Make sure that you 'file' for your refunds quickly. Our Federal Gov. just announced 'goodbye' to this plan as of Dec. 31 2006 :confused:
 

Cube54

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
129
0
Canada
matticus008 said:
For accessories, you can also try Future Shop (futureshop.ca). There are several in the Vancouver area, and they tend to have better prices than Simply or Mac Station on the laptop cases, etc.

Just remember that tax is 14%, so the simple rule is that the price in Canadian dollars is roughly the same as the price in American dollars (since the tax cancels out the exchange rate). So if the Canadian price is more than 10% above the US pre-tax retail price and you don't need to buy it, you might consider waiting for a better price.
Sometimes it makes a big difference, especially on higher-end cases and the more expensive electronic accessories.
Darn Yanks!

Our tax in BC is now 6+7=13% We cut that 'here GST back a 'point'. You'all.

And if you haven't noticed ->the poster is from the U.K. Try 'Pounds & Canuck 'pucks' next time, Hey :D


As for the 'Future Shop'.... I willingly, with malice & forethought did leave that firm out of my post!
 

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
2,148
4,110
Toronto
Wow, I wasn't sure if there was an Apple store in Sherway Gardens, but apparently there is! From the look of it, it's pretty freaking new, but since they have events scheduled for the 24th and 25th I'm assuming they are open. If you don't really want to go to an apple store then check out places like;
Carbon Computing
Computer Systems Centre
CPUsed
Click on Mac Solutions
Compusmart

And for peripherals you might also want to try Tiger Direct

They are pretty scattered about the city, but if you got time to wander in the downtown core then the Apple store at Eaton's Centre is a good place to start, and if you wander over to Computer Systems Centre, there are some good deals on computer components in the many computer shops around College and Spadina... you just got to know what you want and the standard chinese 'cash discount' applies;)
 

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
3,336
0
Bay Area, CA
Cube54 said:
Darn Yanks!
Allrighty then.

And if you haven't noticed ->the poster is from the U.K. Try 'Pounds & Canuck 'pucks' next time, Hey :D
I did, actually. But when I travel on business, I have a rental car, and since it's usually for several days, a trip to the outlets in Washington isn't out of the question. Sometimes you can get a better deal by hopping the border.

As for the 'Future Shop'.... I willingly, with malice & forethought did leave that firm out of my post!
Which is why I added it in mine. A business traveler isn't going to mind Future Shop for one quick visit. I hate Mac Station, personally.
 

Cube54

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
129
0
Canada
matticus008 said:
Allrighty then.
I did, actually. But when I travel on business, I have a rental car, and since it's usually for several days, a trip to the outlets in Washington isn't out of the question. Sometimes you can get a better deal by hopping the border.
Does your Employer know you do this???

matticus008 said:
Which is why I added it in mine. A business traveler isn't going to mind Future Shop for one quick visit. I hate Mac Station, personally.
Hey What I Can Say? Everytime I cross the border to U.S. I always stop by 'Guns 'R Us'

Pack 'em & Blast 'em I Say
 

mistuk

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2004
66
1
Amesbury, UK
Thanks for all the tips! Really looking forward to visiting Vancouver, it's my first visit there - been to Toronto once before (about 12 years ago). Wish I had more time in Canada - I'm going to be a bit jet-lagged when I get back!

Thanks again,

Kev
 

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
3,336
0
Bay Area, CA
Cube54 said:
Does your Employer know you do this???
It's called free time. Our rental agreements have unlimited mileage (or meterage, depending on the country), so what I do outside of the conference/event/seminar/required activities is basically unlimited, right up until I exceed my per diem. Even then, I can do whatever I want as long as I pay for it myself. Either way, the budget and accounting people couldn't possibly care less.


mistuk said:
Thanks for all the tips! Really looking forward to visiting Vancouver, it's my first visit there - been to Toronto once before (about 12 years ago). Wish I had more time in Canada - I'm going to be a bit jet-lagged when I get back!
If you get a chance and you like the outdoors, head over to Capilano Gorge in North Vancouver. It's amazing this time of year, and it's just one SeaBus and one regular bus from downtown.

You'll probably love Vancouver from the moment you step into the airport (which is really saying something, given the general mood at most airports these days).
 

mistuk

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2004
66
1
Amesbury, UK
matticus008 said:
If you get a chance and you like the outdoors, head over to Capilano Gorge in North Vancouver. It's amazing this time of year, and it's just one SeaBus and one regular bus from downtown.

You'll probably love Vancouver from the moment you step into the airport (which is really saying something, given the general mood at most airports these days).
Yes, Capilano Gorge and Grouse Mountian are on my hit list for Sunday (I fly out of the UK on Saturday). Everyone I know who's been to Vancouver has told me that I'm going to love it......

I'm out there to look at some ATC systems, so I'm likely to be spending a fair time at the airport!
 

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
2,148
4,110
Toronto
Abstract said:
Weird. G-H-E-T-T-O. Why not somewhere nicer and more prestigious? It seems silly not to open one in Vancouver, but open one up at Sherway Gardens. :eek:
How long since you've been there Abstract? I will admit that the surrounding area isn't too hot, but the mall itself is pretty nice, and they've got the newer 'big box' section to the north. Mind you I don't go there that often (traffic is nuts around there and living downtown there's not much point), my thought was that you'd think Apple would go for the Vaughan Mills Mall to get wider coverage...
 

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
24,386
112
Location Location Location
Agreed. Much newer, and much nicer.

I haven't been to Sherway gardens in 6 years, but the area isn't hot like the Eaton Centre and Yorkdale mall. They chose Sherway Gardens instead of any decent place in Vancouver. Kind of weird, that's all. ;)

Haven't been in Toronto for 2.5 years. I'm in Oz for at least another 1.5 years.