Price Advice Good places to sell used Mac equipment?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drison, Sep 12, 2012.

1. drison macrumors regular

drison

I hope this isn't a violation of the rules as I'm not offering for sale, but besides MR which requires a higher post count, are there any other online places that I could sell used Mac equipment? I know there is ebay, CL, etc. but wondering if anyone can recommend trustworthy message boards where you can go that doesn't require a large post count? If it makes any difference, I bought and sold many things in MR forum before they implement those rules many years ago.

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I get the best prices on eBay and the best transactions (smoothest) here. I'm not a fan of CL.

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I find ebay to be a huge pain for selling with funds tied up until you get feedback or delivery confirmation. And paypal is another huge pain. CL is completely unregulated and there is a huge spam to useful content ratio.

I don't think it would violate forum rules if you describe your items here, asking about their value. It would give me a better idea of what to suggest as a proper place to sell them.

As for post count, that's something you can definitely do something about by being actively engaged in the MR forums. You've been a member since 2005 so there is no doubt you've had ample opportunity to rack up whatever post count is required.

4. drison thread starter macrumors regular

drison

Thanks. That's useful information. These are the newer items I have that I'm not using at all. Any idea of value would be helpful.

13" Macbook Air 2010 1.8/128gb/4gb/applecare till Nov 2013
    Late 2009 Mac Mini 2.26/8GB/60GB SSD/applecare till May 2013

As far as post count, primarily because I am one of those people that won't post unless I really feel that I can contribute something intelligent to the conversation. I almost never post one liners or get involved in flame wars because it's just a waste of everyone's time. Yes I've been a macrumors member since 2005 and come to read the news almost daily. Unfortunately, it's just not in my DNA to post a lot on the forums. :)

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what you may be able to charge. Then adjust your price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

6. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

i like to sell stuff on forums that i'm a regular. that way the people know me, and i pretty much know the people who i'm selling too. after you complete several successful transactions, it becomes a lot easier.

7. drison thread starter macrumors regular

drison

Thanks, that's good info. I'll use that to get an idea of pricing.