Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
Hi folks

A friend of mine is selling his MacBook Pro - it's the model from late 2006, so with Firewire, 2,33Ghz, 2GB, 256MB video etc.

I was with him when he bought it and it has hardly left his apartment so it's in mint condition.

I'm thinking to buy it myself as I have no Apple laptop right now.

I'v searched around a bit and think a fair price would be 900EUR, what do you think?

Yes, this was a 2500EUR laptop when it was new but the new unibody MacBooks base spec are surely more performant, so that's how I arrived at this price.

Would I be a fool to buy such a machine? It will be mostly used as a living room laptop for surfing and email. I'll occassionally use it for Logic Pro to do some live multi-track recording.

Cheers
Dave

JonMcDonald

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2009
You sound about right. I don't think it's dumb to buy that machine, for 900Euro (if you can get that price) it will last you another 2-4 yrs depending on how you use it.

Lycanthrope

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 1, 2005
Brussels, Belgium, Europe
Well I found a site that gives valuations of second hand Macs: http://www.mac2sell.net/

This gave a figure of 1200EUR...

We negociated and arrived at 1300EUR for the MBP and an iPhone 2G 8GB, which he's also upgrading.

I'm pretty happy with that, means I've paid about 1050EUR for the laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.