Good price for iMac G5?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by megahertz, Aug 28, 2012.

1. megahertz macrumors member

Hey, I'm looking to sell my old iMac. Here are the details:

This is a 2006 model iMac G5 with a 17" screen.

PROCESSOR - 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    MEMORY - 512 MB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
    HD - 160 GB Hard Drive

Running Mac OS X Version 10.5.8.

The computer has never suffered any physical damages whatsoever, it has been kept in a safe spot from the day it was taken out of its box. The original cost of the computer was over $1200.00.

The entire deal comes with the following:

- iMac
    - Wired Mighty Mouse (scrolling wheel slightly mischievous, will provide 100% functional mouse for free)
    - Wired Keyboard
    - Power Cord
    - Apple Remote

What is a good price, what should I ask for?

2. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

Just want to point out that G5 iMac's have PowerPC G5 CPUs not Intel Core 2 Duo CPUs. Chances are you have an Intel iMac not a G5...

3. megahertz thread starter macrumors member

Wow, never knew that Intel iMacs and G5 iMacs were different. I always thought that G5 referred to the white style with aluminium base. Thanks for clarifying.

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

5. Sjhonny macrumors 6502

wouldn't give north of 400 (the machine is 6 year old)

----------

They quote $500 - 600 . The current 21" iMac is $1200, but has way more then twice the bang for the buck.

6. megahertz thread starter macrumors member

I was originally thinking $250 (Keep in mind it is all in Canadian dollars) but am thinking maybe $300 - $350 is ok to ask for?

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You can ask that. Just be prepared to also look at lower offers if you don't want it to sit a long time. The market for that one is not likely to be very good. I mentioned with that link, the pricing data is unreliable. I was trying to help you confirm what machine you own. If it's a G5, it's worth no more than $100. If it's an intel machine, that's different. Does it actually say Core 2 duo? If so that's definitely not a G5. These models had kind of bleh displays. They were all TN types. The condition of it today does have some effect on its desirability.

You misunderstood the point of my post. The OP was trying to determine what computer he has. Note that he claimed a G5 and an intel cpu, which is impossible. I was trying to identify the correct one, and as I said in my post, their estimated retail figures (the $500-600 listed on that site) are not remotely reliable. I edited from worthless because I didn't want someone to read the computer is worthless. He'll probably get a couple hundred (maybe more) if the screen doesn't look terrible and the rest of the unit is functional. Otherwise less. Who really wants the 17"?

8. Sjhonny macrumors 6502

CAD ≈ USD right now. 350 sounds about fair. (Keep in mind that buying old hardware isn't without risk)

9. megahertz thread starter macrumors member

It's an Intel computer, just thought it was labelled as G5, though it should not be, because it's an Intel computer.

10. JootecFromMars macrumors member

Also, if it's 1.83Ghz, it'll be the 32 bit Core Duo which can't be upgraded past Snow Leopard and not the 64 bit Core 2 Duo which would have a X1600 GPU and so can't be upgraded past Lion.

11. iHailCarlo macrumors 6502

$200, that is the most I think you will get for it.

12. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

Mac Of All Trades has one with a 90 day warranty for $299.

It does look like about $200.

If you only have one Mac this one would make a good 2nd Mac for a back up.