Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LCB1980

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Scotland, U.K.
OK, so it finally arrived. :)

Point number 3 in the instructions say "Log-in remotely to headless computer and select desired resolution"

I don't know how to log in remotely. I thought it was just a simple matter of plugging it in and leaving it. Also, I will, from time to time be connecting the Mac Mini to my TV via HDMI cable and I don't want to have to keep changing the resulting back and forth every time I do so. :(

Any suggestions?

Celerondon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2013
Southern Cal
OK, so it finally arrived. :)

Point number 3 in the instructions say "Log-in remotely to headless computer and select desired resolution"

I don't know how to log in remotely. I thought it was just a simple matter of plugging it in and leaving it. Also, I will, from time to time be connecting the Mac Mini to my TV via HDMI cable and I don't want to have to keep changing the resulting back and forth every time I do so. :(

Any suggestions?

No Worries!

Remote login and display handshake/identification are issues that people discuss on these forums. Recently I got curious about remote login apps and downloaded Team Viewer. I intended to use it to connect an iPad to my Mac. It was simple to install and use. From download to control I had a remote connection in less than ½ hour. There may be better remote control packages but I doubt that they are a better deal. Both components of the Team Viewer package were free. Here is a comment from a thread that covered a related topic, remote restarts.
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20886910/

LCB1980

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Scotland, U.K.
No Worries!

Remote login and display handshake/identification are issues that people discuss on these forums. Recently I got curious about remote login apps and downloaded Team Viewer. I intended to use it to connect an iPad to my Mac. It was simple to install and use. From download to control I had a remote connection in less than ½ hour. There may be better remote control packages but I doubt that they are a better deal. Both components of the Team Viewer package were free. Here is a comment from a thread that covered a related topic, remote restarts.
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20886910/

Why does the resolution need tinkered with anyway? Can't I plug this thing in and just leave it?

From what I've read on their website it's mainly for screen sharing. I'm not screen sharing so do I really need to adjust the resolution?

LCB1980

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 12, 2015
Scotland, U.K.
Anyone? Does adjusting the resolution trigger something on in the Fit-Headless dongle or can I just plug it in and forget about it?

OR

Can I plug this dongle in to my rMBP and set it up that way that way I can see what I'm doing on screen without having to remote login.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.