Good price for Mac Pro (UK / Europe)???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kultschar, Aug 20, 2010.

1. kultschar macrumors 6502a

Given up on ebay at the mo as not many on there in my price range (I do not want dual core).

I have found two Mac Pro's (both 2008 model)

2008 3.0Ghz Quad (8 core / 2 processors) with 10GB RAM / 3 x HD (over 1TB) £1650

2008 2.8Ghz Quad (8 core / 2 processors) with 2GB RAM / 2 x HD (over 500GB) £1500

Firstly are these prices in the right ball park for two year old models???

Im a bit stretched for cash, is the 2008 3.0Ghz really going to blaze the 2.8Ghz?

Much appreciated for any imput!!!

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I'd say the slight speed boost and five times as much memory is worth the extra £150.

They seem like ok prices although I've seen better on eBay. Mind you, I've also seen worse on eBay. There was an unsold one on eBay a couple of days ago - 2.8Ghz 10GB RAM for £1275 delivered. If you're strapped for cash maybe look at that and see what the seller's willing to do. That + an Apple 5870 will make a screaming machine.

3. kultschar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm - maybe I should wait a little.

Cheers for that link, I noticed that yesterday and emailed the seller, he withdrew it as he said he dropped the tower when putting it into the box. Said he did a fair bit of damage

4. kultschar thread starter macrumors 6502a

Another option is a quad (single processor) 2.93Ghz

Do these have a spare socket for throwing in another processor if I came across a cheap one down the line?

5. mattmower macrumors member

mattmower

I've been idly following eBay while waiting for the reviews on the 2010 hex-core and I'd say those prices are a little over the odds, maybe £150 for the 2.8 with only 2GB, but still in the ball park. The 3GHz with 10GB for £1650 sounds okay if it's still got 4+ months of AppleCare.

I was considering buying one (if I found a good deal) and waiting to see what 2012 might bring. But they're all falling out of AppleCare soon and I really want that "New MacPro" smell so I'll probably buy a hex.

Matt

6. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

No they don't. They're using 3xxx series Xeons which are basically Core i7s with ECC memory support.

If you're really after a budget deal then maybe that damaged 2.8 might be worth it. If it's only the case that's damaged then you could save yourself a good chunk.

7. kultschar thread starter macrumors 6502a

He said it had internal damage!

8. kultschar thread starter macrumors 6502a

My other option is a 2.8 GHz Quad-(8 Core) with 6GB of RAM for £1200 however this is not on ebay so too scared to purchase!! :eek: