Good Prices On The Older MBP Models?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Uchicha, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Uchicha macrumors newbie

Hey,

I've been waiting since last year like alot of people to buy a MBP and finally decide to buy something yesterday as the laptop i'm using isn't mine and has to be returned soon. I was thinking to buy an old/second hand MBP still C2D preferably from a retailer as I want it as soon as possible with no fuss but couldn't find much shop wise in the UK. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Many Thanks

2. pezza macrumors member

go to the online uk applestore, look at the bottom of the page for the refurb link, then shop away!

3. Uchicha thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but anywhere but the refurb store their prices are still too similar to the current model Macbook Pro's and I don't mind second hand

4. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

before C2D was in MacBook Pros i bought a CD one for £750, this is a laptop that cost £2200 8 months earlier, i got this from ebay.

look for miss spelt items (mine was a MacBookPro)
    look at strange times of day or night (mine wasnt very strange, 9.30am)
    finally, don't be scared to shop abroad (mine was from Hong Kong, i had to pay VAT, and lots of postage, but the total was £744! the actual item on ebay sold for just £585 crazy)

5. Uchicha thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

7. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Ha! Like that one right there? :p

Seriously, a friend picks up a lot of collectors items from eBay for great prices simply because sellers don't bother to spell-check their posts. It's a good way to shop, if you can find a mistake.

8. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

9. iJordo macrumors member

I am selling mine!

Macbook Pro Core Duo 2Ghz 1.0 Gb RAM, 80g HD, Glossy Screen
    WITH a brand new battery and original packaging and leopard install disk and iLife 08 disks and pretty much everything....Even a Seagate External HD (160g) and I am willing to work with you for a price...
    Starting price will be around 1399$ let me know if your interesting man....
    email me: s_jandrian@pbu.edu

10. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

EDIT: this isn't in response to iJordo - it's about the ebay sale above his post.

Personally, it looks like a good buy. Not sure why you would want to stay away.

I only buy second hand laptops when I can inspect them before purchase, and this guy seems happy for you to come over and check over his MBP before buying. I take 'pickup only, no delivery' to be generally a good sign.

If he won't let you look at it, then of course don't buy it.

It might be a low price cos it's out in the middle of nowhere.

Of course, take the usual precautions, inform a friend, and maybe take someone with you.

Last time I bought a powerbook second hand, the seller was far more scared that I was gonna nobble him and take his PB for free. But all was fine, it was new in box etc and I got a good price.

11. iJordo macrumors member

Yeh...

I am trustworthy... There will be a brand new battery when I sell it... I am hoping that is a perk... and I will throw in my apple wirless mighty mouse...
    Well let me know if your interested...If we must...ebay will work too!

12. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

The OP is looking for something in the UK, not the USA.

13. Uchicha thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the offer iJordo but I was looking for a dealer in the UK just because I need it soon as possible and I can pick up the laptop tomorrow over here if needs be. I emailed the dealer I'll see what he says when he gets back to me.

14. Uchicha thread starter macrumors newbie